Antivirus for Win 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malwarebytes may be considered as an antivirus but it's not, it's a virus removal tool. If you want to have the free one, you can use the default for Win 10 which is Windows Defender.

Originally Posted By: CarlShirleys
Malwarebytes may be considered as an antivirus but it's not, it's a virus removal tool.

The paid for full version of Malwarebytes gives real-time protection from malware. Malware and viruses are not typically the same thing, and that's why you need both a good anti-malware and anti-virus program running real time to be fully protected.

I don't use any antivirus on my W10 machine, thought it was built in.
21.gif

There are plenty of sites on the internet where you can test NOT having an antivirus program. There's also a chance you may click on a safe site and still get infected. Obviously you have been surfing very luckily until now and I would urge you to get a good one today...... one that's better than anything free.

I'm sure OP has made up their mind, but for anyone else looking at this thread, 360 Total Security is the latest top rated antivirus. Extremely lightweight, very fast, stays out of your way, and has excellent detection rates. It's totally free, and it doesn't make you sign up for anything like avast and bitdefender do (or did last time I used them).

I can't in good conscience recommend avast anymore. It's become so heavy with ads and stupid useless features that it's basically like running call of duty in the background.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, yet, but I've been using Panda antivirus for a while. It's completely free, seems to have a very small operational footprint, and has generally scored well in most AV testing. I should say, though, that our risk for viruses is very low. Our web surfing is minimal, we don't visit questionable websites, and we're careful with email.

I've been using computers regularly since the late 1980s, and I don't remember having a virus. Ever.

I also run Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, in addition to Malwarebytes A-M (paid lifetime), and Bitdefender free on Windows 10 Pro.

There's so much stuff out there that can slip by almost all such protection. I still feel a bit naked even running all this stuff.

Originally Posted By: horse123
I'm sure OP has made up their mind, but for anyone else looking at this thread, 360 Total Security is the latest top rated antivirus. Extremely lightweight, very fast, stays out of your way, and has excellent detection rates. It's totally free, and it doesn't make you sign up for anything like avast and bitdefender do (or did last time I used them).

I can't in good conscience recommend avast anymore. It's become so heavy with ads and stupid useless features that it's basically like running call of duty in the background.

Yes, I formatted the hard drive and installed Linux Mint. Functions fine in all aspects except the duplication of the screen when hooking up a TV over HDMI. If duplicated, the resolution drops to VGA on both the monitor and the TV. So the screen is extended to the TV which is a major pain.

Bitdefender has just released a new updated version of there free AV windows 10 compatible, It still is in BETA but good reports are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back