Old Zetec filters cut open: LF483 and Napa 41315

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hastings LF483 and Napa Platinum 41315 (Wix XP 51315XP)
for the Zetec engine

I decided to cut them since they're too old for service. Old filters didn't bother me until I saw how bad an M1 from 2008 was, which revoked my faith in old filters.

Zetec filters are particularly difficult to cut and open since they have a second ADBV pointed backwards (as an anti-siphon valve), and you can't see the center tube simply by looking through the filter like you can with most spin-on cans. And cutting off the wire-backed mesh of the Platinum will be almost impossible, so there's no view of the interior of the XP. But it probably has round holes.

The Hastings was much easier to see the center tube since it's regular media.

---------------------------------------

Napa Platinum 41315
Date code 060911B1 (June 9, 2011)

The pleats are fairly evenly based, one of the best I've seen among wire-backed filters. At the thread end, the media has a brown color, possibly indicating it not being safe for use (NOTE: it looks pink from the camera's flash, but in real life it's a dark brown). It felt more brittle than you'd expect for a synthetic filter, but that could just be the mesh. The bent metal end cap was my doing, since I had a hard time getting the cartridge out of the can.

The silicone ADBV felt fine.

-------------------------------

Hastings LF483
Date code 04261217505
April 26, 2012

This filter is interesting for many reasons. First, it might be the only slotted center tube filter for the Zetec application Seconds, the slots actually look good. Purolator could learn something from them! Also notice that the slots aren't directional like other companies' louvers.

The dome-end bypass is metal rather than the plastic usually used on these. It's a tad stiff, but still Zetec-appropriate, although it could be age-related too.

The anti-siphon valve is that color of plastic that looks like it glows in the dark.

The black rubber nitrile ADBV felt rather stiff

As for the media itself, it started to darken at the creases, but not nearly as bad the M1 from 2008. I mangled this one, which is the reason for the line in the Hastings media; that is the thread end. even though it didn't tear, it still felt weak to the hand.

--------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I think I made the right decision to cut them and not use them. But what do you guys think?

Here is a link to all the images (I didn't want to post them in the thread since there are so many of them, and 30 large pictures might take while to load, especially if you're on a phone):

Pictures

I will post three images here ITT; the rest are at the link above
smile.gif

IMG_5305.jpg

Napa Platinum 41315:
IMG_5325.jpg

Hastings LF483:
IMG_5339.jpg

2011, 2012, not old at all by Rock Auto posted anecdote standards, almost new. Just based on appearance alone, I'd likely have no issues using either as they are or were. Anti-siphon valve interesting. Engine applications must me particularly sensitive to drain back. As for center tube design, either works fine so not an issue.

And though some are turned off by the Wix efficiency beta, NP/XP construction looks solid. It's an enigma.

Thanks for pics.

Reactions: pbm
That Napa would've been just fine. I've used filters that were 5+ years old before without issue. The media in the Hastings looks nasty, however. Fun fact: I still have an older Purolator Premium Plus from 1998 for a Zetec motor. I was using it as a decoration on the shelf, since it has such a vintage looking box by today's standards.

Slacktide_Bitog: I think he means where the media got messed up where you maybe cut too deep or dented it. Looks fine either way sir and thanks for the cut and post:)

Good show and tell. The color variation on the media may be due to the curing process of the media. Donaldson made a point of it in this previously posted link:

https://www.donaldson.com/content/dam/do...oduct-Guide.pdf

The new ST filter I cut open had the color variation, makes it look like an old filter. I think Donaldson says they cure the resin while the media is flat while others cure after assembly, which causes the unevenness. It's on page eight to the right. FWIW

Originally Posted By: car51
Slacktide_Bitog: I think he means where the media got messed up where you maybe cut too deep or dented it. Looks fine either way sir and thanks for the cut and post
smile.gif

oh ok, and yes I cut too deep sorry about that!

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Good show and tell. The color variation on the media may be due to the curing process of the media. Donaldson made a point of it in this previously posted link:

The new ST filter I cut open had the color variation, makes it look like an old filter. I think Donaldson says they cure the resin while the media is flat while others cure after assembly, which causes the unevenness. It's on page eight to the right. FWIW

That document also says that the round holes can cause torn media, but that has only bee a problem with one particular company (and Purolator doesn't know how to make louvers, either).

The color variation does get worse over time. For example, an 8-yo filter is much worse than a 4-yo filter. The Hastings in this thread is 4 years old, while this M1 was 8 years old. The darkening is much more severe.

Synthetic media has yet to be put to the test since the Fram Ultra, Wix XP/Napa Platinum, and Purolator Synthetic and Boss haven't been out for 8 years!

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

Excellent information in that link, and science based not urban legend hearsay about filter construction. But hey it's only Donaldson the pioneer in synthetic media, what do they know.
sarcasm03_zps087c735d.gif

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Napa platinum great for 15000k miles. Run it,drain at 10k,keep filter and top off.Great filter

Run it, drain it, AND, change the filter as well!
"One Filter, One OCI!"
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back