Anyone Have a Taurus PT111 G2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PT111 in my hand is a dandy little pistol. I always knocked Taurus quality too, but it appears that Taurus quality is on the upswing, and here is why.

Before I bought this pistol, I looked around the net. Apparently, several years ago, a lawsuit was filed against Taurus for having guns that could go off if dropped. They agreed to a gun buyback on those models, and will buy back the guns or replace them with a Gen 2 model that has improvements. As you can expect, this is very costly for the manufacturer. The CEO was replaced, and it was decided that it would be much cheaper to put out a better product first then to ship/repair/replace a bunch of faulty guns.

They hired a top executive from Colt to implement quality control changes into the lines. They also hired an entire team of American engineers to improve on their guns and processes. I believe the company is changing for the better and I am more confident that they will will put out a much better product in the future with the input from the new American engineer team.

Taurus also really ticked off their dealers by selling faulty/defective/low quality guns. As a consequence, many dealers dropped them and refused to sell Taurus guns any more. So Taurus dropped their prices on their entire line as an incentive to get these dealers back and also explained to them in detail the new quality control standards that were put in place by the new American engineer team.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I always knocked Taurus quality too, but it appears that Taurus quality is on the upswing,........

I will agree with that statement. I think Taurus has seen the problem, and has done everything in it's power, (at great cost I might add), to reverse it. I would be less hesitant to buy one today, than I would have 10 years ago. I don't think I would buy one of their Beretta clones however. For the little money you would save, there is almost no reason to risk it. I picked up my Beretta 92-FS on sale with an additional discount, for just about what the Taurus clone of the same gun sells for. (I forget the model number).

Originally Posted By: billt460
..... I don't think I would buy one of their Beretta clones however. For the little money you would save, there is almost no reason to risk it. I picked up my Beretta 92-FS on sale with an additional discount, for just about what the Taurus clone of the same gun sells for. (I forget the model number).

It's not a risk, I have two of the open slide Tauri knock offs, one a knock off of the 96 FS, and the other a knock off of the short barrel ( Centurion ? ) in 9mm. I prefer the Tauri as they have the frame mounted controls, which are on the slide of the 9 and 40 caliber Beretta's. The smaller Beretta's put the controls on the frame where they belong. The fit on the Tauri is good, the finish is different than the Beretta's, neither better or worse, just different. Beretta being my favorite weapons brand, I do own quite a few of the open slide Beretta's in many calibers.

I bought one of the Taurus PT-92's a few years back. It's been an awesome pistol. It was $379 at the time, the Beretta 92 is always upwards of $600 around here. Sometimes I'll see one on sale for like $550.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sonic
I bought one of the Taurus PT-92's a few years back. It's been an awesome pistol. It was $379 at the time, the Beretta 92 is always upwards of $600 around here. Sometimes I'll see one on sale for like $550.

That's what I paid for mine. Plus Cabela's had sent me one of those "$50.00 Off" coupons in the mail. $500.00 isn't bad for a new Beretta 92-FS. I'm thinking of getting the Inox as well. I have big hands, and the full sized Beretta 9 MM fills them nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back