Sensitive and touchy brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
recently drove a brand new accord with 4k miles. The brakes were super sensitive and touchy, to a point where i was driving like a 15 year old behind the wheel for his first time. I get back into my car and drive away and not issues. I wouldn't say my brakes are bad by any means. My brakes are normal. I've driving many cars in the past, mainly used cars but i know what bad brakes are.

My daily is the G35. It was good brakes and recent brake services, all done by myself. Like front cremanic pads and centric prem rotors in the front about 18 months ago with only 10k on them. 1 new rear caliper with new pads and rotors in the rear thats about 7 months old with 5k on them. Brakes were fully bleed at that time as well. The rear pads are just normal part store stuff since most braking is done in front. Front pads i think are EBC or raybesto. I did use normal DOT 3 from walmart.

But the new accord's pedal felt great compared to my car, touchy but something i can get used to.

This made me think about upgrading my braking system a little, it is 10 years and 110k now.... There is a brembo option that i can bolt on off a 350z sport. It would be 4 pot caliper in the front. Front calipers would run me about $400 used from salvage yards/ebay. This would move me up to a 13 inch rotor as well. Another popular option is get SRT8 brembos which i think are 4 or 6 pot versions out there, pretty much bolt on as well but will hold a larger disc. Both options would require me to go SS brake lines.

Another thought i had was to go SS lines now. And see what that does to my pedal feel and if i'm not happy i can get more aggressive pads ( hawks HPS or stoptech) or ultimately get the brembos. Brake lines are like $160 for all 4. I've never done SS lines or had a car with brembos.

Like i said, nothing wrong with my car at all. The stopping power is good and predictable. Very similar to almost all the used cars i've driven in the past. But this brand new Accord sport, which had normal brakes AFAIK with 4k miles, the pedal feedback was a lot better. Maybe stopping distance was the same but i just loved the pedal feel.

I dont race with said car. I daily drive this car no matter what the weather is. Sunny, Rain, snow or blizzard. Once a year i might make it to the 1/4 drag strip and maybe 1 auto-x event.

I used to have a 99 Accord and I remember test droving an 08 Accord and almost went through the windshield when applying the brakes as I was exiting the dealership parking lot. Whew! Good thing I wasn't going too fast.

Test drove a 2016 Accord recently and maybe I'm just used to them but they seemed fine. Much of the braking is done in the rear to prevent it from nose diving. This was a base LX model that I drove.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
There is no downside to quality braided stainless lines.

That are installed correctly.

Too often they may not have the exact same dimensions as the OEM lines. It is necessary to take the time and route them properly to avoid any rubbing or stretching issues. Make sure you can turn the wheel full lock to each side and that the hose is clear of everything.

You should do your homework and find out the replacement costs for all four pads and rotors for a brembo setup.

If you can stomach that cost them go for it.

I'm assuming you've factored in larger wheels and tires to accommodate the larger brakes?

My moms 10 fusion's brakes are the same way very very sensitive. Me stopping normal in my malibu compared to her car almost screeches the wheel. And she has simply 4 new duralast rotors woth gold pads on the back and thermoquiets on the front.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP

That are installed correctly.

Too often they may not have the exact same dimensions as the OEM lines. It is necessary to take the time and route them properly to avoid any rubbing or stretching issues. Make sure you can turn the wheel full lock to each side and that the hose is clear of everything.

Well ya, that is why I got the Stop Tech ones for my new Mustang. The 95 has Maximum Motorsports ones. Also have Speed Bleeders on every corner and use only DOT 4LV brake fluid now.

Servicing brakes with a Brembo setup is a dream. If you are just changing pads, you don't have to remove the caliper. Plus I have the piston depressor tool from Zeckhausen so it is even easier.

Originally Posted By: JC1
You should do your homework and find out the replacement costs for all four pads and rotors for a brembo setup.

If you can stomach that cost them go for it.

I'm assuming you've factored in larger wheels and tires to accommodate the larger brakes?

Already done. Since the 350z brembos are OEM option. Pads and rotors aren't overpriced for them. Just a hair more. As long as i dont go 2 piece rotor.

Yes you assumed correct. I already own the 350z Forged wheels that came on the car with brembos. Plus my winter set of wheels have the proper offset/backspace to handle brembos. That cost for me doing this will be roughly $600 after all said and done.

I agree with this statement. Stoptech lines are what i'm getting. By my biggest question is how much improvement can the SS lines do alone on a working system. I guess you can help answer that, how big of a improvement was it on your newer stang when you went SS. I'm leaning towards going SS lines only at the moment to see where i'm at and how much i like the brake pedal. $150 all around isn't much of a spend VS $600.

05 G35s had bigger brakes(12.6 dia) than previous years but seems like your X has the older brakes on them from 03-04 (11.65)

There are a lot of factors for Pedal feel, it could be that the accord had a higher brake booster ratio which means less input force to be needed and if you are used to yours you might feel that its touchy.

My G35 was an 05 and I loved its brakes the feel was good and could easily modulated. Since you're not going to race or anything serious id personally just buy better pads to help with initial bite check out Stoptech 309 Street Performance Pads and see how that goes.

Im not sure how much SS lines help with feel, current rubber brake lines have lots of stuff inside to prevent expansion...

ECK7AZA.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same experience going from the factory BMW brakes (which I had no complaints about) in my M5 to the Brembo's on the SRT-8, which grab quickly and hard. I am used to them now, but there was definitely an adaptation curve.

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers

Im not sure how much SS lines help with feel, current rubber brake lines have lots of stuff inside to prevent expansion...

Maybe so but 12 years old from service date and 100k miles later there should be some.

Yea i could go 05-06 brakes twin piston calipers for cheaper but at that point i rather go Brembo for the looks/performance. I've driven other local G35's with other types of pads, they all felt similar to my car. Which like a said is braking decently well. Had i not been in the accord, i wouldn't think twice.

I dont drive brand new cars often so i dont have other frame of references. My only experience with newer cars are rentals, they dont really count. I had a 3 year old G37xS loaner car with 15k and those brakes were touchy but i adjusted instantly after going around the first corner. The service tech didn't make any comment on my braking.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I had the same experience going from the factory BMW brakes (which I had no complaints about) in my M5 to the Brembo's on the SRT-8, which grab quickly and hard. I am used to them now, but there was definitely an adaptation curve.

I adjusted to the Accord Sport after a few minutes of stop and go. But still wasn't perfectly smooth like how any experienced driver should be braking.

Last edited:
well these showed up.

I'll get them in, if i can get a helper to bleed them for tomorrow! Haven't done homework on the pads but i'll see what this does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back