Pokemon Go - Darwinism's best friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course Nintendo doesn't think "Pokemon Go" is a bad idea.

"Even though Pokémon Go is only officially open in three countries, the game is generating well over $1 million of net revenue for Niantic Labs. I can easily envision a run-rate of over $1 billion per year with less server issues, a worldwide presence and more social and PvP features."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/pokemon-go-surg...oid-ios-1570220

Will be interesting to see how many people end up dead from playing this idiotic game.

Originally Posted By: opus1
I had two instances on Sunday of cars stopping or slowing for no apparent reason and trying to pull over on a very narrow rural road with little/no shoulder. No flashers/blinkers. I'm wondering now if they were "collecting."

As if people texting and driving or just yakking on the phone and tuning out traffic is not enough hazard to other motorists, motorcyclists, and pedestrians. Now we have this. "Quick gotta stab the brakes and pull over there's an imaginary virtual reality cartoon creature over there I've got to capture for my team." I hope such morons eliminate only themselves from the gene pool and not any innocent bystanders or other users of the road.

Few months ago didn't some phone zombie walk right off the edge of a cliff overlooking the Pacific ocean in California and plunge to his death on the rocks below?

In theme with this thread:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me...snap-story.html

Quote:
In North San Diego County, two men fell off a bluff while playing the smartphone game, while farther north in Anaheim, a player was stabbed by group of men in a park recently.

The incidents come as law enforcement agencies across the nation are reporting a plethora of Pokemon-related attacks and odd happenings since the game was released last week.

On Wednesday, firefighters rescued two men who fell several stories off the crumbling sandstone bluff in Encinitas, according to authorities. The men, who were in their early 20s, were playing “Pokemon Go” at the time and likely were led to the cliff when they were trying to catch characters, said Sgt. Rich Eaton of the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department.

One man fell 75 to 100 feet. As firefighters rescued the man, they found the second man unconscious 50 feet down the bluff, said Battalion Chief Robbie Ford of the Encinitas Fire Department. Both were taken to area trauma centers and suffered moderate injuries, he said.

The men, according to firefighters, had crossed a fenced area to get to the bluff.

“I think people just need to realize this is a game,” Eaton said. “It’s not worth your life. No game is worth your life.”

On the other hand:

a0fd7b986323d070060170911ea7a37740d4c467a0f3b659af5a72ad9c0d79fd_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
On the other hand:

a0fd7b986323d070060170911ea7a37740d4c467a0f3b659af5a72ad9c0d79fd_1.jpg

Yeah, interesting point...read an article ages ago that the UK bike helmet laws would lead to an increase in morbidity/mortality as less people were participating

My son downloaded it the other day, and as a family, we walked 10+ miles the last 36 hours.

We were up in the mountains on Friday (before download), and he commented that if people were stupid they would be walking off cliffs everywhere...showed him the articles where they did just that.

Sunny days we SHOULD be outside as a family, and if the youngest is keen to go, then it makes a difference.

Still stand by the darwinism thing.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Isn't Pokemon a popular video game from the 80's, or am I thinking of Pac-Man ?

Pokémon is a late 90's thing. It was an outstanding Game Boy game, an anime, and a trading card game similar to Magic: The Gathering.

Reporter caught playing Pokemon Go during US State Dept Anti-Terror Briefing yesterday. Wow. Bet he's unemployed this morning...

Oh god, the irony! The irony is SO strong. So wait wait wait, lemme get this straight. You are going to sit there, in your computer chair, on a website about MOTOR OIL, and [censored] that people have found something they like to do that actually involves, you know, getting outside and walking around? While you sit here on an equally pointless website making snarky comments about how "if I had nothing better to do I'd end myself"? My how much GALL and self-important arrogance you have. The hipocrisy is unbelievable to me. Though I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, considering the general direction most people on site lean. It's beyond disgusting.

Jon Stewart was right last night.

First and last post for me in this thread.

I just wanted to point out that people don't need to be sitting at a computer in their home, to log-on to Bitog.

For instance: I'm sitting in the Pits at Bandimere Raceway, as I post this from my phone.

You know what they say about those who assume..

Nick R, your post count and time span would appear to convict you of your own accusation regarding wasting time on, "an equally pointless website." You've certainly got me beat on time spent on this website !!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Oh god, the irony! The irony is SO strong. So wait wait wait, lemme get this straight. You are going to sit there, in your computer chair, on a website about MOTOR OIL, and [censored] that people have found something they like to do that actually involves, you know, getting outside and walking around? While you sit here on an equally pointless website making snarky comments about how "if I had nothing better to do I'd end myself"? My how much GALL and self-important arrogance you have. The hipocrisy is unbelievable to me.

You obviously haven't read the whole of the thread, too busy flipping between which Japanese anime star you would most like to marry, and which CGI the best computer generated voice ans spangles.

People doing STUPID things while chasing pokemon...walking off cliffs, walking down dark alleys that they would never walk down when behaving rationally...and the good stuff, kids getting off their chairs and going outside.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
In a german train station they've now put lights in the ground that flash when a train pulls in, to avoid accidents with the phone zombies
The Darwin thing is good for the Gene pool.

The upside seems to be the local nature center has teens walking about and outside in groups playing it. Foot traffic is way up for teens. The only other traffic I have seen there by teens is where I had to divert my girls eyes....

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Oh god, the irony! The irony is SO strong. So wait wait wait, lemme get this straight. You are going to sit there, in your computer chair, on a website about MOTOR OIL, and [censored] that people have found something they like to do that actually involves, you know, getting outside and walking around? While you sit here on an equally pointless website making snarky comments about how "if I had nothing better to do I'd end myself"? My how much GALL and self-important arrogance you have. The hipocrisy is unbelievable to me. Though I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, considering the general direction most people on site lean. It's beyond disgusting.

Jon Stewart was right last night.

If you get your panties that knotted up because of someone else's opinion about a rather stupid phone game, then why even read the post or reply to it?

On a side note, the word you are trying to use is spelled "hypocrisy", not "hipocrisy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back