My oil cooler line came off while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently rebuilt my 2006 Evo engine and everyone was going good until a couple days ago my oil return line came off my oil cooler. I noticed the oil light come on so I pulled over immediately and shut the car down. I'm always watching my revs so it can't have been very long until I turned the car off. I'm guess it ran without oil for 15 seconds maximum.

I got the car towed home and drained all the oil, there was maybe a quart in there still. I looked for any metal specs and I didn't really see any. I reattached the hose and filled it with oil and started it up and it started fine. No odd noises when I originally saw the light go on and none now, not even a lifter tick.

However what has me worried is that I had to take off the oil line again and the oil cooler drained since it filled up and I put a drain pan underneath and did notice what I'm pretty sure are gold metal specs.

I'm not sure if that is bearing material or if it's just typical metal specs you would see in a motor being broken in - it doesn't even have 100 miles yet.

Could damage have been done to the bearings after 15 seconds max without new oil? Or are the metal specs I see likely normal from breaking it in. I'm wondering why I see metal specs from the oil cooler (the oil feed line was still connected to the oil cooler, just not the return line) now when I didn't see any when I first drained the remaining oil. Also noteworthy is that before I was using a standard 30w oil (AMSOil break in oil) and when I refilled it I used Mobile 1 5w-30 (will be switching to Amsoil soon).

Any thoughts on if 15 seconds is enough to cause a rod knock (why I rebuilt the engine in the first place) or bearing damage? Anything in terms of checking the oil/filters I could do? I know I could take off the oil pan and check the bearings but I no longer have access to a garage and it's a decently big job so it's not really an option.

Thanks, sorry for the long post but I wanted to include all the details.

Well no one can really say unless you pull the engine apart. If there was some minor damage what would you do? Probably drive it anyway. In your case there was oil and you lost oil pressure. A much better scenario than not having any oil pressure to begin with.

I would fix the oil cooler line and drive it normally.

While Amsoil makes great products, I think you can get equal quality motor oil at Walmart. I do buy their ATF and gear oil.

I lost an oil hose once off the block. Cost me a new engine. Locked the sucker up nicely. Had a dual 2 quart Ford oil filer relocation kit and 800HP cooler. Threw all that in the dumpster. Running the original filter screwed to the block again. No issues since.

Actually from reading on this forum I never needed a cooler. Most wear is at cold start up. With the cooler it would take longer to heat the oil to operating temps. Can't see a need for one unless you have oil into a turbo. For me it was something else to fail. Good luck with yours.

slomo

You probably got lucky due to the fact a sensor picked up a lack of oil or oil pressure and you shut it down quickly.

I bet there was still oil in the top of the engine and it was dripping and going thru the passages and the components are still OK>

I doubt you did any real damage to anything in that period or time.

Refill and check for leaks and keep going. Let us know what happens in a month or two.

Originally Posted By: slomo
Actually from reading on this forum I never needed a cooler. Most wear is at cold start up. With the cooler it would take longer to heat the oil to operating temps. Can't see a need for one unless you have oil into a turbo. For me it was something else to fail. Good luck with yours.

Well, at least in my application the oil cooler only flows when the oil temperature gets hot enough.

How long did you drive when you lost your hose?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why did the oil line come off should be the main concern.

Connector issue, it's fixed.

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
How many miles on the rebuild? May simply be the break-in still going on.

Less than 100

Originally Posted By: toneydoc

Refill and check for leaks and keep going. Let us know what happens in a month or two.

I'm a little late but the car is 100% fine. Oil analysis even shows everything is in good shape.
smile.gif
~13k on the build.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back