what is the problem with the "new" gas cans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the ones that came out 5 or 10 years ago that nobody liked???- small 1, 2, 5 gallon plastic size.
I may need to buy one. I have the simple old style kind .

are they just cumbersome to use?

No; the gas simply "gurgles" through the nozzle in a effect to reduce fumes and subsequent evaporation so they have awful pouring "performance". There are kits to install an old style vent in the body of the can which returns the flow to that of the "old" cans.

These new nanny gas cans SUCK. When the time comes and I need to buy a new one I'm going to hit the flea market or antique shops to find a proper gas can.

Using the so-called "Obama cans" as intended will result in spilling gas everywhere. Not good for your skin, not good for the environment, and (personally) not good for my blood pressure.

That's the reason I bought a No-Spill gas can. Mine has served me well for the last three years or so. I think prior to December of 2011 No-Spill had some problems with the cans. Mine is made after that, and it works very good.

Ethan1 said:
Using the so-called "Obama cans"

Really? I suspect you're joking but please don't blame the President for something that happened before his time:

http://lfb.org/how-government-wrecked-the-gas-can/

It took one quick search. The whole trend began in (wait for it) California. Regulations began in 2000, with the idea of preventing spillage. The notion spread and was picked up by the EPA, which is always looking for new and innovative ways to spread as much human misery as possible.

An ominous regulatory announcement from the EPA came in 2007: “Starting with containers manufactured in 2009… it is expected that the new cans will be built with a simple and inexpensive permeation barrier and new spouts that close automatically.”

The government never said “no vents.” It abolished them de facto with new standards that every state had to adopt by 2009. So for the last three years, you have not been able to buy gas cans that work properly. They are not permitted to have a separate vent. The top has to close automatically. There are other silly things now, too, but the biggest problem is that they do not do well what cans are supposed to do.

Ya they are terrible? They don't vent.so you stand there forever trying to pourgas as your can gets sucked up. Then you must pull it it out and turn it right side up to release the vacuum.

I no longer buy "gas cans" I buy "metal safety cans" like Eagle, and Justrite.

That is how I get around the stupid rules... You can still buy metal NATO cans, as well.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Using the so-called "Obama cans" as intended will result in spilling gas everywhere. Not good for your skin, not good for the environment, and (personally) not good for my blood pressure.

Interesting. I bought the emissions type cans in around 2005 or 2006, so before Obama was on anyone's radar.

They poured terribly then, they pour terribly now. Fortunately, a quick road trip up to Canada solves that...

(Im sure they can be found around here, but there were loads in every store I ventured into up there, so I stockpiled)

I use the clear 3 gallon paint thinner plastic jugs.
Last forever and pour with no funnel and spill not a drop. Just fill it 3" from the top.
Pour from the side and its a piece of cake.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I buy the plastic can and put one of these on them.

http://www.ruralking.com/ez-pour-replace...CFY-LaQodw9MOFA

01.gif
Best thing anyone can do.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Interesting. I bought the emissions type cans in around 2005 or 2006, so before Obama was on anyone's radar.

They poured terribly then, they pour terribly now. Fortunately, a quick road trip up to Canada solves that...

(Im sure they can be found around here, but there were loads in every store I ventured into up there, so I stockpiled)

You don't even need to buy the whole can. Get just the spout.

Of note, the newer cans hold the vapor pressure in better... they don't "pop" vents like a pressure cooker. I think this preserves the gas better so it works better in my OPE... the ultimate objective of owning a gas can for most.

The new gas containers come in two main flavors. Ones that suck and ones that really suck.

A saftey gas can is much better and is the only type of gas container that should be in an attached garage.

If you have old gas containers you can buy new spouts or caps if they are cracked or lost.

Whatever you do, avoid the new gas containers where you push the spout back to pour. They really suck. The ones where you need to release a catch with your thumb and push back on the handle are better as they just get a rating of plain "suck" vs "really suck".

Cough up the money and get safety container.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

You don't even need to buy the whole can. Get just the spout.

Of note, the newer cans hold the vapor pressure in better... they don't "pop" vents like a pressure cooker. I think this preserves the gas better so it works better in my OPE... the ultimate objective of owning a gas can for most.

I wasn't clear. I bought a bunch of spout kits because they were readily available. Even with the "non compliant" spouts, they DO hold pressure better.

Use to be you could get a good plastic can for $4. Now you have to buy an $8 spout to make it a good plastic can again.

the new ones have been nannied by the EPA and liberal lawyers,the good news is you can easily
grab some tools and remove the silly slow pour feature and have a pretty
normal gas can

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back