Nissan Frontier vs Chevy Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 Frontier, and I LOVE it. It's been a wonderful truck. Bought it brand new, now 6 years later have 103,000 trouble free miles on it. I'm sure the Colorado is a great truck, but don't discount the Frontier because the media says its traded in a lot or it's not been redesigned in forever.

With that said, I'd probably buy a Tacoma if I were in the market for a new truck at this time. I just really like our new 4Runner, and imagine the Tacoma is quite similar.

I think is great when people post how they love their truck - great.
So don't own what I buy ? Your choice/money - great again - yet bash it like they know something about it. The rest of us put 100k to 400k on GM trucks - spend lots of time on the beach/bays - no rust.

Like the Car Pro often says - right now - they are all making far better products than any did 10 years ago.
What you read in the press? Remember how they demonized the little H3 ? Always on a gas hog list (duh, 4.56 gears)
Well, it got the same mileage as the Toyota SUV - never on the list. Even better, the final year they only sold 9000 units - and Ford puts a half million F150's out there - never on the list - same MPG (now helped by ecoboost -
Seems like after Hummer was gone - that list fades - mission accomplished ?
(Check recalls 2009-2014 ... Who it was might surprise you - but a recall is the right answer) ...
Point is - we already have a biased know nothing press - no need to add to it ...

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
I purchased a 2016 Colorado back around Memorial Day. Have about 1,400 miles on it now. V6, 4WD, crew cab, short bed, Z71.

So far, there's been no issues and I really have no real complaints. My fuel economy has been a little better than expected. Sticker says 17 MPG city and I've been seeing somewhere in the 18-19 range. Highway is spot on at 24. Power is fine. Trans is calibrated for economy but responds when you spur it.

Likes: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are both great. Gauges, infotainment, and control layout for the interior is really well done. Everything is where it you expect it. Crew cab is roomy enough for adults (and kids... one big car seat and one booster live in the back of mine). Heated textile seats. It fits in my garage!

Complaints: The ride is a little choppy in the rear over really broken pavement. Lots of splash and spray from the front tires; Splash guards are recommended. Brakes don't have much initial bite. Hard stops require heavy pedal input. The front air dam is l-o-w.

MgBeETMh.jpg

Since this photo was taken, I've added splash guards, a set of tubular steps (the nice GM ones), and had the bed sprayed. I also scored a deal on a brand new set of Z71 take-off wheels and tires that I split with a co-worker (he took tires, I took wheels) that will be used for winter tires.

AWESOMELY beautiful truck, man! So slick, I really like the front end on the latest model GM offerings.

I'm a little biased as I recently bought a Tacoma. I also considered a Colorado, but didn't care for the interior of the Frontier. Out of the two choices the OP provided, I would go with the Colorado.

BG4pmAa.jpg

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
for the amount of money you would be spending, go full size for the better value.

That. The Colorado is a stupid vehicle...you get something that is 95% the cost of a fullsize, uses 90% as much fuel...yet is half as capable. Forget the half-truck at a whole price, go Silverado.

Nice Tacoma - I think the mono tone color scheme almost always knocks it over the center field wall - and this one picks up the awesome wheels just right ...

Capable of what ? You could not make it places I go - and I tow only small stuff - 2000 lbs ...
I have owned them all - don't want to drive a "couch" anymore - to each their own.

Last edited:
Frontier does have an old platform. A very good Titan Based old platform. Its "old" engine also produces the most torque despite it's competition have new engines. 90% of the Frontiers 281 ft lbs is available at 2000 rpm. Yes there is a fuel mileage penalty to pay although 22 mpg on the hwy still isn't terrible.

Frontier will be priced the best, and they should be since they are the oldest. While it may be old compared to what's out, it still offers a very nice driving experience, and it is a solid platform with a great engine/trans combo. The 5 speed trans works very well, and its solid.

Great video - always liked the gear head shows when I would be on business in MEL ...
Saw allot of those diesel Rangers recently in SA/Namibia - wish we had those ...
(And yes, the Pathfinder we were in overheated and ruined our day)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
for the amount of money you would be spending, go full size for the better value.

That. The Colorado is a stupid vehicle...you get something that is 95% the cost of a fullsize, uses 90% as much fuel...yet is half as capable. Forget the half-truck at a whole price, go Silverado.

It uses SIGNIFICANTLY less than "90% of the fuel", but it's stupidly underpowered, even somewhat with the V6.

I'm not sure, but I'd bet the inline 4 is better selling than the V6. If you're going to choose the biggest gas engine option, you're gonna have to look at the numbers for the 6.2 in the 1500, not the 5.3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back