Do I really feel dumb...ball joints 1986 Toyota PU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have this 1986 Toyota pickup I got free (not running). Have it running but noticed turning hard right or left a grinding and popping noise. I didn't do the typical ball joint check but rather walked in and called the tire dealer and made an appointment for new ball joints because of the mileage on the truck. Dropped truck off and get a call about 45 mins later and its NOT my ball joints!! Perfectly fine!....I went and picked it up and Toyota has these metal "steering stop" things and mine were rubbing metal to metal. One side has a spot for a rubber cover but mine were wore off. Just ordered new ones off of E-Bay....end of embarrassment.

Hey, at least they were honest, and didn't just replace the ball joints and the stops, and give you a big bill. You would have thought the joints fixed the problem and been happy. Or worse yet, just fixed the stops, and charged you for the ball joint job. I have heard of worse happening!

Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Most people would have gone to the shop and asked them to fix the front end thing that was making all the noise.

Most importantly, it's good to know you have a good shop there.

Originally Posted By: old1
Hey, at least they were honest, and didn't just replace the ball joints and the stops, and give you a big bill. You would have thought the joints fixed the problem and been happy. Or worse yet, just fixed the stops, and charged you for the ball joint job. I have heard of worse happening!
so true!....I remember once when I took my truck in for AC service (quit working) and all it was the AC clutch needed to be "re-shimmed"...cost about .02 cents for a washer...They were honest too. Thanks for the reply....yep these type of shops should be well noted in your community!

You might have saved me some money. Daughter is complaining about steering noise during turns. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. It's an Civic 2005 with 110K. I'll have to look at to see if there is such a stop.

I have been chasing down a pretty severe rattle in the Focus. Can't find it. Not end links. But there's nothing wrong with the ball joints or the control arm bushings.

I don't want to go to a shop and write a blank check

The aftermarket ones on eBay are an upgraded version too, made of Delrin rather than nylon or something cheap. I run these on my 88 Toyota truck and they work well and have held up.

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
The aftermarket ones on eBay are an upgraded version too, made of Delrin rather than nylon or something cheap. I run these on my 88 Toyota truck and they work well and have held up.
those are the exact ones I ordered. thanks

I have noticed two (2) Toyota truck where it seemed the entire arm collapsed. Like the ball joints and control arm, spindles, etc just caved in.

It was as if the frame was on the ground in that corner. Looked scary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back