Shelf life of charcoal carbon cabin filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do cabin filters have a shelf life? And is the carbon/charcoal layer affected by shelf life?

There was another thread on here about how a NOS cabin filter actually caused the odor because the old stock filter had the warehouse aroma.

However, the driveby OP didn't specify whether the filter in question was a charcoal filter, and I didn't want to bring back an old thread.

If the box was shrink wrapped, it wouldn't matter, but only Micronair seems to do that.

My Volkswagen carbon filter specifically states on the box that there is no expiration. Note that these are packaged in a plastic, air-tight bag. Once they are exposed to the air their life begins counting down.

I recently replaced my filter because of odor from the A/C system. The previous filter was installed 40,000 miles and 5 years ago. I think I kept it installed too long and will adopt a 3 year interval.

If not plastic encased, a charcoal filter will pick up odors/air contamination from the surrounding air. If yours is not plastic wrapped, wrap it yourself while in storage to keep it from taking on environmental aspects.

I think your assumption is off.

All the carbon filters I've gotten have been wrapped. It's in plastic inside the box not shrinkwrapped, just like cereal.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
My Volkswagen carbon filter specifically states on the box that there is no expiration. Note that these are packaged in a plastic, air-tight bag. Once they are exposed to the air their life begins counting down.

I recently replaced my filter because of odor from the A/C system. The previous filter was installed 40,000 miles and 5 years ago. I think I kept it installed too long and will adopt a 3 year interval.

FWIW, VW's recommended interval for cabin filter replacement is 2yr/20k miles. My filters are $98, so I have extended my interval to: "do I sneeze when my AC is on? - change it."

Dang roofless. That is crazy. I would be looking for another source. Have you ever looked at Rockauto.com?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
If not plastic encased, a charcoal filter will pick up odors/air contamination from the surrounding air. If yours is not plastic wrapped, wrap it yourself while in storage to keep it from taking on environmental aspects.

Too bad all of them aren't plastic encased, if this is true.

Funny thing is, Micronair uses plastic wrap, but Denso doesn't! And the Denso filter was a reboxed Micronair! They were the same exact filter, adn the Denso actually cost *more*
crazy2.gif

Denso 454-2009
Micronair FD00118C

Both were made in Germany, both said Micronair FD00118C on them, same arrows, same everything!

Fram doesn't wrap their cabin filters. Purolator doesn't wrap theirs. Wix doesn't wrap theirs. Mann doesn't seem to, either, from the other thread I linked to in my OP. Denso doesn't wrap theirs.

Honda and Toyota OEM cabin filters come sealed. (so doubly strange that Denso doesn't, considering that Denso is Toyota, and is the OE supplier to almost every Toyota!)

Does anyone here know if Mahle and Hengst put their cabin filters in plastic wrap?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
FWIW, VW's recommended interval for cabin filter replacement is 2yr/20k miles. My filters are $98, so I have extended my interval to: "do I sneeze when my AC is on? - change it."

Is this for your Phaeton?

Because Rock Auto has a Beck/Arnley cabin filter for under $40
smile.gif

There is an OEM VW Phaeton filter on eBay for $42. There's also an aftermarket cabin filter for $25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back