Dex-Cool Shelf Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I emailed Prestone about their Dex-Cool Extended Life 5yr/150K mile coolant, and asked what the shelf life was since I have some left over from a previous coolant change from a few years ago. The guy basically said it's good for 5 years, regardless if it's in the jug or in the car.

If that's the case, then why don't the coolant manufacturers put an "expiration date" on the jug? Was this guy correct, or was he just wanting me to go buy more of their product?

I can't see this being true. I'd get a second opinion. Perhaps email Zerex.

I'd think antifreeze's life starts ticking when its exposed to metal (dumped in an engine). Did he at least specify if this was for an open or closed container?

Heck, the junk on the parts store shelves could be a few years old before someone even buys the stuff. Grocery stores struggle at rotating stock.. what makes one think parts guys will do the same? Lol.

I'm calling bunk on that.
I've used coolant from a sealed container (not Dexcool but that shouldn't matter) that was much older than that (approx. 14 years) and when I did the timing belt/water pump several years later, the water pump looked brand new (with 80K on it). I wouldn't use diluted/open coolant that was that old but a sealed container should keep it good almost indefinitely....in fact I think I remember reading this.

I had to go back and dig up the email traffic I had with the Prestone tech guy. I was a little off, it's more like 7~8 years. Here is his statement.

"Prestone Long Life/Extended Life Antifreezes have a shelf life of 7-8 years, regardless of whether they have been opened or not."

So apparently that means if you have some new left over coolant that has been sitting in a half full jug for 5 years, then using it will only give you 2~3 years of protection. I'm assuming it's the anti-corrosive additives that degrade over time and that's their concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back