AD244 Alternator Manufacture ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Looking to upgrade my cs130d to an ad244 in my 98 S-10.

The lowest-end version (130A) is a huge jump over the current unit, so I'm not really concerned with getting max output... I'm concerned with getting the best model.

Some claim the regulator is "better" on the 145A version, but it's not clear why other than a bigger heat sink on it.

But I've also read that the Delphi version is what people want, nor the DR44 variant. Thing is, I'm. It really clear why.

Is there such a thing as a 145A alternator in a Delphi case?

Apparently the rectifiers are different on some, with more copper components and better corrosion protection.

Is there such a thing as a Delphi-case with 145A internals? Or did Delphi only produce 130A alternators? Are the four-pin DR44 alternators functionally the same as the Delphi-cased alternator?

Thanks!!

Can you find a reputable shop that would reman your original one. It went something like 20 year, hard to beat that and a proper reman with good components should yield similar life.
Personally I would avoid those cheap remans from auto parts stores, unless the vehicle is at the end of its life or being sold.

Unfortunately it's not the original. Stupidly I replaced it maybe 10 years ago because I thought it was making bearing noise. Oh to know what I do now.

Regardless the AD244 swaps in the same space and is a better design, so that's what I'm looking for...

CS130 and AD244 units were vastly different in regulator functions so I'd be careful there. GM used many different regulator functions over the years, some were necessary and some were not. You'd need to carefully compare your regulator functions/terminals before making the swap. Do you know what you have now? (i.e. P/L/F/S )

Why do you need anything more than the CS130 thats on there now? IMO the AD244 wasn't much better if any, and certainly more $$$. THe key is getting a GOOD quality unit, not the mexican junk remans or the Chinese built new junk.

FWIW I used to work in engineering for Remy for a long time.. been away from the business for almost 10 years now so my info may not be 100%...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
CS130 and AD244 units were vastly different in regulator functions so I'd be careful there. GM used many different regulator functions over the years, some were necessary and some were not. You'd need to carefully compare your regulator functions/terminals before making the swap. Do you know what you have now? (i.e. P/L/F/S )

Why do you need anything more than the CS130 thats on there now? IMO the AD244 wasn't much better if any, and certainly more $$$. THe key is getting a GOOD quality unit, not the mexican junk remans or the Chinese built new junk.

FWIW I used to work in engineering for Remy for a long time.. been away from the business for almost 10 years now so my info may not be 100%...

Interesting... Thanks for your insight.

The recommendation was made when I posted my thread about alternator thermals and my reduced voltages observed (for the first time ever on the truck). Im not convinced its just I^2R...

That led me to some research, and there is lots of discussion all over various forums on the use of the AD244 in place of the 130 series alternators... Particularly dropping in to various trucks... but no one is fully complete in info...

I have gone to the parts stores to look at the alternators, which is how I got to find that there is a Delphi case and a RD case variant... with different regulator designs...

Thanks!

I have put AD244 on my 6.5L Diesel Suburban a few years ago.
It runs beautifully in there.

According to member at the diesel forum, they are much better quality than the predecessor.
Standard is at 145A anyway, so I would not sweat too much about.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
I have put AD244 on my 6.5L Diesel Suburban a few years ago.
It runs beautifully in there.

According to member at the diesel forum, they are much better quality than the predecessor.
Standard is at 145A anyway, so I would not sweat too much about.

So that's sort of what Im getting at...

What is "Standard"? Im seeing "standard as being between 130 and 170A or so...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How about this?

1998 S10 alternator

32.gif

Geeez, I could weld with that sucker!
grin2.gif

You had me curious J so I went and looked at my 1999 S-10 (Dad's old truck) with the V6 4.3L.

It still has one red wire coming out of the regulator terminal and it has a "128" stamping on it but nothing else. Apparently dad had a remaned put back in there because it says, "Remanufactured in Mexico."

Last edited:
If you go to Autozone website (I know it may not be the best although I got mine from there), when you put in say 2002 Silverado Truck with 6.6L Diesel engine, it shows 2 types of alternator. One type is the AD244 with 145 Amps, the other I think is CS130D with 105 Amps. The one I bought from AZ was coming from Delco Remy. I think it is Made in Mexico.
Nothing made in US anymore unless you get a local rebuilt.

Now, there are other vendor selling customized alternator with 170A or even 200A.

I just put in a standard one at that time which was 145A.

You can also check with JY in your area and see if they have AD244 taken out from wrecked trucks.

Last edited:
Yeah I bought a tough one advance auto alternator for my Buick and it was a brand new Remy and was made in Mexico. It's a very good one but unfortunately made in Mexico quality varies greatly. Most of the remans are terrible from all the stores.

Is the 140 amp alternator found on other S10's?

For example, using a V8 Durango alternator is a common upgrade for Grand Cherokee WJ's with high electric draw. Lights, wench etc. My Jeep will never require that much power.

Looks like the 140 amp has an external fan which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back