Oil for Toyota Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are the proud new owners of a 2012 Toyota Tacoma with the 2.7 4 cylinder and 4 speed automatic transmission. Has 57k miles on it, maintained at the dealer with whatever they used (presumably 5W20 since that's what's on the dipstick cap). This truck will mostly be used as a second vehicle, also hauling light stuff but about once a week it will need to tow ~1,000 lbs of animal feed, as well as pulling a small pop up camper now and then. I'm already going to swap out the trans fluid with MaxLife (dealer said it's never been changed, as it's "lifetime" fluid... we all know how that goes) and install a trans cooler, but some of the folks on the Toyota sites are saying that a 20 weight isn't sufficient for towing and I should bump it up to a 30. Now I'm perfectly content to run what the manufacturer specifies (yes, I know I violate that by running 15w40 HDEO in my Cavalier, but that's because the engine is old and it's the only thing thick enough to not leak out all over the place) as long as I'm not doing any damage to the engine, and I've already read that 20 weights are specced because of fuel mileage, not longevity.

That's a stout 4 cyclinder that takes a lot of abuse in third world countries.
I would just run 5w20 for 5k And not worry. Pick an engine oil brand and marketing term you like,keep the air filter clean and maintain the transmission and the other lubricated parts and the engine will be running when everything else is wearing out.

I have a 2007 Ford F-150 fleet truck in my possession that gets severe oilfield service ( dust,mud, 4wd hill climbs..long idles etc..with 5k changes off bulk 5w20. The little 4.6 v8 runs great and doesn't use oil at 90k miles. . Regular naturally aspirated truck engines are by design very reliable and easier to maintain.

If you are worried about going to 5w30 still I would base my decision on a single point of reference. Is your valve train using rollers, or buckets? Rollers with hydraulic lash adjusters= 5w20 Aand never look back. Buckets..I would consider 5w30 if you are getting that engine hot with the towing.

Last edited:
Use what ever properly rated oil is available from a mainstream oil company and be well served by the oil.

A quality brew of 5w20 is very robust even for a big F350 CC LWB
I can't see you having any issues with that. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back