Any other belts made like Gatorback’s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are any other serpentine belts made with notches like Gatorback (Continental Elite) belts?

I like the way those notches keep the pulleys clean but I don’t like to mail order parts.

The only thing I know about gatorbacks is I've heard a lot of people say they start to squeak ridiculously soon and crack quickly as well. Just thought I'd throw that in there before you or anyone else in this thread get stuck on those. If anyone has other experience please feel free to refute

I've had them in use one 2 vehicles with over 100000 on each of them. Still look good.

I like Gatorback belts and how they keep the pulleys clean on my 96 Regal. I am on my second Gatorback belt purchased just as Autozone stopped selling them with no squeaks or any other problems so far. LOL

I have three Gatorbacks on two cars (the 1mzfe takes one PS belt and one serpentine belt for the alternator and AC). They have run flawlessly for 10k each. Time will tell if they last, but so far so good.

Originally Posted By: horse123
The only thing I know about gatorbacks is I've heard a lot of people say they start to squeak ridiculously soon and crack quickly as well. Just thought I'd throw that in there before you or anyone else in this thread get stuck on those. If anyone has other experience please feel free to refute

They are all I have been running for the last several years. I have not experienced any cracking. They are EPDM and should not have that problem under normal service. My 6.4 is hard on belts and the Gatorbacks don't squeak at all. I've ran them on many Hondas, Toyotas, and Fords. No problems in my climate.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett

They are all I have been running for the last several years. I have not experienced any cracking. They are EPDM and should not have that problem under normal service. My 6.4 is hard on belts and the Gatorbacks don't squeak at all. I've ran them on many Hondas, Toyotas, and Fords. No problems in my climate.

I need a new belt on my 6.0 soon and with knowing your experience I might try one. my truck is pretty hard on belts to.

In my years using Gatorback belts, I have never replaced one.

Let me be clear about this: I have never in my life had the experience of wearing out a Gatorback belt......ever. My personal cars. My whole commercial fleet. Never.

I can also say the same about Gates belts. Round and round they go. Where do they stop? Nobody knows.

Squeaking? Cracking? Sounds like people who thought a Gatorback was going to "solve" a "problem".

I haven't been able to find Gatorback belts locally for a bit. I absolutely love them and will not use anything else if they are an option. FWIW, when I worked in an engine testing facility every military engine that came through had the Gatorback belts on them.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
I haven't been able to find Gatorback belts locally for a bit. I absolutely love them and will not use anything else if they are an option. FWIW, when I worked in an engine testing facility every military engine that came through had the Gatorback belts on them.

I believe Goodyear has sold/moved/whatever their drive belt business to Continental aka Contitech. Would explain why you can't find them nowadays.

Originally Posted By: ron350
Are any other serpentine belts made with notches like Gatorback (Continental Elite) belts?

I like the way those notches keep the pulleys clean but I don’t like to mail order parts.

Dayco used to make their Poly Cog belts which were very similar (I have one on my wife's Corolla) but apparently they are old technology now.

Taken from http://bobistheoilguy.com/dayco-qa/ :

"Poly-cog belts were designed to improve overall durability by increasing the flexibility of the belt as it bends around accessory pulleys. Dayco’s new Poly Rib W profile belts are not cogged, but use a new rubber formulation, EPDM, which increases the overall durability without the cogs, and improves the noise resistance of the belt by allowing the rib tips to flex whenever entering misaligned pulleys. Poly Cog belts were designed and introduced to the aftermarket in 1989 based on the serpentine drives and belt technology that existed at that time. The Poly Rib W profile belt was first introduced in 2007 and incorporated the newest rubber formulations along with the improved rib profile, designed to flex and conform in worn aftermarket drives.

Ed Rammel, Vice President Marketing"

I wonder if the newer Contitech Gatorback-style belts are made with EPDM rubber now? I would assume so...

I also wanted a Gatorback for my Frontier @100,000 miles. Had one in my old Ranger that worked really well. Couldn't find anything locally, so I ended up ordering the Contitech belt and tensioner from RockAuto. WAY cheaper than anything local at AZ or O'riellys and it was the part I wanted.

Gatorback is the only belt that fixed my chirping and my A/C slipping in hot temperatures. Motorcraft and gate's top line belt did not do it.

I can't speak for how long it lasts yet but considering it was only $10 I got no problem replacing it every 50k miles if I have to.

I've had Gatorbacks last 100K miles before chirping. I'd say that's pretty good. Their unique rib pattern is supposedly more tolerant of worn/misaligned pulleys.

Goodyear and Continental merged and now you will find Gatorbacks sold by both under different their respective labels. Same belts.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
I need a new belt on my 6.0 soon and with knowing your experience I might try one. my truck is pretty hard on belts to.

You guys need to try the Gates FleetRunner.

I just bought Conntinental Elite for my Duramax. CrossHatch design ,I was told they took over their line,when it came in it had same part number as old GoodYear .Bought on Amazon.Squeek Free .....

Last edited:
Wow Gatorback belts sure are not what they used to be.

I purchased a new old stock Gatorback off ebay and it was two sizes too short so I sent it back. I noticed that the ribs were not cut very deep which made the belt not fully seat on the grooved pulleys.

Then I ordered a Continental Elite from RockAuto same part # and it was also two sizes too short and the ribs were not cut deep enough just like the ebay belt.

So I sent that belt back and will give up on Gatorback belts.

The picture below shows the difference between my 15 year old Gatorback (upper) and the new Continental Elite (lower) belt. You can see how the linier groves (ribs) are not cut deep enough or wide enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back