Thinking about adding Lucas Transmission Fix

I have a 98 Mazda 626 with the GF4A-EL transmission which has some light to moderate slipping upshifting into second and maybe a bit of loss of power in second / third ( I'm not completely sure which ). I'll also get some small spiking of the rpms in 2nd / 3rd occasionally.

I changed the ATF ( disconnected a hose and did the drain 1/2 liter, add, repeat for a total of 12 liters ) about 1000 kilometer ago. The previous fluid was dark / oxidized, but it was clean with no noticeable grit or burnt smell at all. I'm pretty sure the filter has never been changed, as I asked a friend at the local Madza dealership and he said their practice was to never change the filter.

So I was thinking of adding Lucas Transmission Fix to see if that would help. I just wanted to get some opinions here, in addition to the Amazon Reviews reviews I've read on Amazon.

Last edited:
NO.

If the filter is a screen it does not need to be changed. If it's a paper media then change it. Ask at a NAPA store to see a filter.

If the filter does not help, then go to a Indy transmission shop and see what they say. But it might not be worth it to have a rebuilt transmission installed.

Drive it locally until it dies.

I too recommend replacing the filter if able. Also giving the pan and magnet a good cleaning then another flush. The fresh fluid should have done some decent cleaning already. I do have to say though, I added a bottle of lucas to a 93 Ford Explorer I had and not only did it fix the slipping but it ran flawlessly for 5 years until I sold it.
27.gif

I prefer to try to improve a tranny's operation by slow cleaning, using the speced fluid or equivalent via drains and refills before adding any aftermarket goop.

Originally Posted By: ShamusEgg
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I would try lubegard.

Lubegard Red

+2

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I would try lubegard.

Lubegard Red

+2

+3 on LG Red. You can even double the dosage if you want. Have had really good success with it for a number years.

Ultimately, the trans may need to be rebuilt but I'd try this first before going to a shop.

Originally Posted By: eagle23
I would try lubegard.

Lubegard Red

+2

+3 on LG Red. You can even double the dosage if you want. Have had really good success with it for a number years.

Ultimately, the trans may need to be rebuilt but I'd try this first before going to a shop.

+4 for a quart of Lubeguard Red. Plus you can add their Shudder fix product as well.

Originally Posted By: eagle23
I would try lubegard.

Lubegard Red

+2

Add me to the list. Drop the pan, replace the filter if it is serviceable, fill it up, drive 500 miles and do a line off exchange, then add the LG red.

If the filter isn't serviceable, do a line off exchange, repeat in 500 miles, then add the LG red.

What is a "line off exchange" and which lubegard red product? Lubegard Red They have quite a few.

The only two that ship from Amazon to Israel are the Lubegard 19610 Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx
and the Lubegard 61910 Highly Friction Modified ATF Supplement.

Last edited:
The first one in your link with the red packaging. I'd also go with the Dr. Shudder fix as well that's $6 or so while you're at it.

Change the filter but not clean the screen????? I'd drop the pan, clean/change out whatever. Do 2-3 flushes.
+1 on red LubeGard.

lucas is like the molasses equivalent for ATF. I've used it when I was done trying everything else, like, "this is it. when it doesn't work, trans gets replaced/car gets junked." I ran our old minivan on this stuff 2 years before I sold it and it was effective at working around the low pressure problem it was having. It doesn't fix anything- it just masks problems.

If you do try it, don't add it all. add 1/4 qt, see if it makes a difference. then just add small amounts until it's about right. If you need the whole quart, start saving your money.

-m

Don't use Lucas. It's as thick as molasses in January.It never helped in my situations. I have used Lubeguard Red as a protectant, not to solve a problem. The only product that has helped or fixed a problem for me was Seafoam. You might have a spent tranny. I would do a pan drop/ filter change. The debris will collect in the pan and filter.

My 2005 Buick LeSabre, had transmission rebuilt 3 or 4 years ago, 3 months ago it started shifting hard between shifts, had the same folks drop pan and replace filter and added my old time favorite Lubegard universal, a week later it was shifting hard again. I added Lucas transmission fix, one quart and it solved the problem...since then I have had to add another quart, but I mix it now with half transmission fluid and Lucas transmission fix,,,so far, all it well. Lucas has saved my mind and transmission, wish lubegard had done as well, but what can I say...its working, only 90k miles on rebuilt transmission. I should have not had any problems after rebuild, but hey, stuff happens.

Back