Kia Hyundai 2.0L Timing belt tension concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
New timing belt water pump, tensioner and pulley bearing installed on an 06 Kia Spectra 2.0L. Went with Conti-Tech kit which uses GMB bearings. At first I set the tension too tight, started it up and it whined a bit, I ran it like this for only a couple of minutes. Was able to pop only the top cover off and re-tension it, but when I back it off to a level at which i feel comfortable with, it still makes a bit of a whine (albeit much less than the first time). I don't remember any whine on this engine, and comparing it to a running parts car that has never had a timing belt changed, it was also louder than it. I did notice a little bit of belt rubbed off on the tensioner, but really not too much. If I back it off any further the tensioner will have barely any resistance to the belt, and I'm not sure if this is okay. As it is I can turn the tensioner by hand with only a little bit of friction on the belt. The vehicle drives fine otherwise.

First time I have ever had trouble with this kind of thing, although I am used to Honda's which set tension on their own with the spring and hook mechanisms. Hope I didn't damage the bearings on either the tensioner or the bottom roller, as I really dont want to take this all apart again.

On this thing you have to set it yourself with a 5mm allen. Half way through 06 Model year Hyundai changed the design to a system that guides you a little more.

Here is the guide I followed for reference. Axle Addicts - DIY Hyundai

Thanks for your help, really need to get this right so this car can last as I have just done a ton of other work to it.

I did read the bit about 5lbs of force although I am unable to accurately gauge what 5lbs feels with my finger. New to me is the bit about rotating it two teeth or 18degrees. I did not do this. What is the significance of this step?

It takes the slack out of the cog side of the belt. Push a 5lb bag of flour or sugar with your finger, how hard it is to push as soon as it starts to move should be close enough.
With that much force the other side should have about 5mm slack. These belts do need a lot of tension just enough to take the play out, too tight and it will whine and cause premature failure of the bearing and belt.

Assuming everything else is correct and installed by the book, a minor whine from a new belt is normal. Its just the somewhat rough new belt teeth getting to know the pulleys they are riding on. It'll go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back