In Depth Tire Explaination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
What tire did you get I dont see any true contact with DWS?

I do see EWC DWS and EWC DWS06 models.

Its like you combined 2 different model names or I am missing something?

I'll try to find the pic where it;s in small letters on the sidewall as well as on the sticker of the new tires. I think they just started doing that very recently, probably not on any of the stock produced in 2014/15.

Probably a sly attempt to associate the tire with the new breed of "all-weather tires" started by Nokian WR & Yoko W-drive and now including Hankook 4S & Kinergy even though the TrueContact & PureContact don;t actually have the Snowflake symbol.

I bought these right Continental Truecontact here:

They don't say DWS in the listing, but the DWS branding is all over the tire. Some websites include the DWS in the listing, some don't. They arrived today and I had them installed this afternoon. On dry pavement, they are a breath of fresh air. I had been running dedicated snows for so long, I had forgotten what a smooth quiet ride was like. Once I got home, I compared them to the General RT43 V, which is on my wife's Camry. I can 100% say the compound of the Continental is much softer than RT43. I can easily squeeze a lug on the Continentals, where I can't on the RT43. I would put the softness somewhere between that of a studless snow tire and an all season tire. Between the tread pattern in the center of the tire and the softer compound, Continental is definitely trying to add some better snow traction to an all season tire. Hopefully they do well this winter. It will be the first winter I haven't run a dedicated winter set in many years. I just can't justify buying a new set of all seasons and a new set of snows for this car at this time.

P.S. Walmart installed my tires, $38 total for a complete tire swap. All the technicians were female today. Once the car went in, it was done in about 25 minutes (estimation). I check the tires when I got home and every tire was right at 30 psi (correct for my car) and I went to loosen the lug nuts and torque them properly and found they were already torqued to 100 lb.ft. Way to go ladies! I've taken my cars to Walmart a million times for tire swaps as they are the cheapest around. Usually the guys are slow as snails and their work is super lazy when it comes to tire pressure and torque. So I was happy to see the lady technicians doing a superb job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back