New VW vs Used Honda......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just throwing this out there for your honest options. I have had my Accord since last August, and it should be paid off this August. I am just toying with the idea of trading the Accord for a new VW. After diesel gate their prices have dropped and they can be had for some really decent prices. I am in contact with a rep from a local VW dealer now. The main reason I would be interested is if I can get into a new VW for maybe $2000 or less out of my pocket, which honestly could be possible. Then I would have a new car with 0 (or close to it) miles on it. Which brings up questions like, will my near 40K mile Honda be more reliable than a new VW? I am a Honda fan through and through, but I am also a VW fan as well. They have nice driving dynamics and pull some great MPG numbers with their nearly all turbo line up. Our local dealer also seems to treat its customers very well which is always a plus. I have limited long term experience with VW's my girlfriend owns a 2014 Jetta 1.8T and its a fun little car. It has just under 20K miles on it and has had a couple "annoyances". The drivers door lock squeaks at random, the screen in the instrument cluster partially goes out at random (only has happened a handful of times) and the key sometimes would get stuck in the ignition (which was recently fixed under warranty) no hassle. I have had two other dealings with VW, all from the same family. A 2013 Passat which only had one problem that I know of, the drivers door lock would randomly lock and unlock while driving...and a 2015 Jetta that has no issues to date. All of these are still young so like I said my experience is limited. I just love them for their driving dynamics and simple german styling and behavior. So if any of you have owned them longterm please feel free to comment. I know historically they are not the most reliable vehicles compared to Honda / Toyota but I am assuming they have came a long way since those times as many companies have. Again folks, this is only assuming I can get into one for cheap, I have no desire to have a car payment for any length of time. Thanks in advance!

Edit: throwing another car into the mix...the dealership has a NEW 2014 Passat Wolfsburg edition with the 1.8T. So its been sitting for 2 years (no doubt with the occasional test drive). I sent the rep an email and he said he will get pricing into tomorrow for me. I imagine the Passat being VW flagship sedan would be more reliable the the Jetta, its baby sister.

I suggest chanting "money-in-the-bank" until the feeling goes away. might be a great deal, but the dealer is making some margin on the trade in. And I just haven't seen evidence that VW's long term maintenance cost has improved.

Of course a 40k Honda is more reliable than a new VW. A 140k Honda might be, too. You're a BITOGer, so you're a more-competent-than-average car owner... how much damage have you done to your Honda in 40k? Not much. You've actually done a 40k test drive and proven that your Honda is in good working order. I suspect that cars fail in sort of a bathtub curve.

If you want the VW, just do it
grin.gif

Dont get a new VW! They are soooo bad. Because some one knew someones aunt's uncles brothes cousin that have a volkswagen and the oil hadent been changed for 50K and the engine blew up. Welcome to BITOG, you cant have a peoples car!

Your Honda will be paid off soon. Stay the course. The Honda is good for 300,000 if maintained well.

I don't know of any VW that will go that far w/o serious repairs. Of course they will run nearly forever, but using the Euro system of period part replacements which add up over the life of ownership.

We drive Euro cars. Have owned many and enjoyed the snot out of them (Audi included). But that does not make it an economic case. You can't make that case... You will never find the data to support it. So if your argument is anywhere near about economics, the Honda will win every time.

Now if it's about going sideways in the snow - well that's a whole nuther ball game
laugh.gif

OP-VWs are not liked here on BITOG. Not a fair place to ask about VW's, Subarus, or Chinese tires, among other things. If you were asking to buy a 15 year old Crown Vic-these guys would be falling all over themselves.

No way Jose. 2 years old means you're gonna need to put new tires on it a lot sooner than another car.

I'm sure you've seen my VW posts on here before. I actually for the most part like the way they drive and have no doubt about their longevity, the problem is it takes a lot of $$$ to keep them going and get a long life out of them.

Really consider looking into a new Hyundai Sonata. IMO, they're one of the best looking cars out there (in a reasonable price range). 10 year/100k mile warranty too. Their reliability is fantastic as well.

Here's one for just under $17k, it's a 2016.

Sonata Link

Ahh, the usual "Honda will go to 300k miles with nothing but oil changes" arguments. Except, didn't OP's 40k Accord that is "way better than a new VW" have some issues, including rust on a Florida car?

Anyway, IMO I would keep the Accord. From a financial perspective it makes perfect sense. You do not want to start a habit of trading in vehicles the moment they're paid for, it's a bad long term plan.
From the practical point of view, the Accord should be more than enough vehicle for you for the near future, even if you plan to have kids and the driving dynamics will be close to VW's. Yeah, VW vehicles are better for that, but it's not a huge difference.

On the other hand, if you really, really want that VW, turbo equipped vehicle, that drives great and gets very good gas mileage, but doesn't have to be wound up in the RPM range, like the Accord has to, then sure, go for it. You should get top dollar for your Accord and the timing to snag a VW for a great price couldn't be any better.

Do it if you just want a new car that's more fun to drive than your Accord.

Don't do it expecting the same reliability as a typical Honda, statistically at least.

Quit BITOG and join Bogleheads; you would be much better off in the long run. You need a big dope slap if you are thinking of purchasing a new vehicle even before paying off the current one.

Ah the old VW threads in BITOG. They typically go all the same anti-VW way. My personal ownership of a VW has been nothing but positive, and honestly I don't follow maintenance exactly to the book. Not one single thing wrong (a set of tires, battery, and oil changes) in 3+ years and 30K miles. It only gets driven on the weekends nowadays, but a great car for these steep and twisty mountains. IMO if you like the car get it; most here will be naysayers. Those people either never owned one (cousins sister brothers uncle owned one kinda stuff) or picked up the occasional lemon that can happen in any brand. Do yourself a favor though; if you don't mind it, go with the manual. So much more fun and really enhances the VW driving experience.

I think getting rid of a vehicle every year or two is just brutal financially speaking. So if you are going to do that, just lease your new toy and be done with it. Have fun and don't look back.

But there is no doubt that the practical decision is to keep the Honda and drive it until repair costs start to escalate or you are so sick of it you can't drive it anymore.

OP/gregk24,
i'm calling users surfstar and dareo, they both have the golf sportwagen tsi s in manual/stickshift.
i think 'till about 1 month ago can be had $16k-17k... (last years model)

for honda 300k+ recs, please see futuredoc rant from 2 days ago: they may not be what they where....

You know what I'm going to say....plus....when it's paid off, it would be like that commercial where the car is throwing money at you via the vents. Do this....after your Honda is paid off, take the monthly payment you'd make for the VW and put it in a bank until you would have paid said VW off....

Any way to track down and buy your previous 2006 Accord and buy that back? I like that model year and the 2007. I do like the new vw's as well esp the great pricing currently. All in all I'd probably keep what you have. Unless they offer a smoking deal towards the end of the month. You only live once.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Ah the old VW threads in BITOG. They typically go all the same anti-VW way. My personal ownership of a VW has been nothing but positive, and honestly I don't follow maintenance exactly to the book. Not one single thing wrong (a set of tires, battery, and oil changes) in 3+ years and 30K miles. It only gets driven on the weekends nowadays, but a great car for these steep and twisty mountains. IMO if you like the car get it; most here will be naysayers. Those people either never owned one (cousins sister brothers uncle owned one kinda stuff) or picked up the occasional lemon that can happen in any brand. Do yourself a favor though; if you don't mind it, go with the manual. So much more fun and really enhances the VW driving experience.

Any car can last 3 years and 30k miles with out a problem. The difference in reliability comes out when the car has 60k, 70k, 80k+ miles on it.

That said buy whatever you want. More Honda's for me.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
Originally Posted By: Delta

Any car can last 3 years and 30k miles with out a problem. The difference in reliability comes out when the car has 60k, 70k, 80k+ miles on it.

That said buy whatever you want. More Honda's for me.
smile.gif

If it's the car in his signature then the only VW there is a 08' Jetta SE - 2.5 5cyl 5MT - 73K. But it could be another car not mentioned in the signature.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quit BITOG and join Bogleheads; you would be much better off in the long run. You need a big dope slap if you are thinking of purchasing a new vehicle even before paying off the current one.

THIS

Originally Posted By: pandus13
OP/gregk24,
i'm calling users surfstar and dareo, they both have the golf sportwagen tsi s in manual/stickshift.
i think 'till about 1 month ago can be had $16k-17k... (last years model)

for honda 300k+ recs, please see futuredoc rant from 2 days ago: they may not be what they where....

Yes, the Sportwagen thread from last fall/winter got me interested and eventually into my Sportwagen.

BUT - [at 35 y/o] this is my first new car; first car payments, ever. (won't pay off early, as we may need the cash for a down payment in a year or two)

In the past I've given this OP and another prolific car-changer grief b/c they change cars so often. Greg also takes very good care of his cars, detailing and over-maintaining them, of which I've chided "you won't own it long enough to matter" ... then this thread pops up!

VWs are a current great deal, but long-term reliability is still a bit unknown. I'm wary of this and went into the purchase with eyes wide open, and would be surprised if I can get to 100-150k w/o any real issues (fingers still crossed).

Greg, pay off the Accord - they're great cars. You take great care of it. It'll last a long time. Once its paid off, start putting that monthly payment amount into a Roth IRA. Invest in a Target Date fund, that is appropriate for your age. Continue to invest and then invest some more and be pleasantly surprised down the road. You'll soon have more than enough cash to pay for a new car outright, but will have gained the knowledge, experience and discipline to continue to invest and watch your savings grow instead of taking on a new car.

I recommend new VWs/Golfs for those who actually need to buy a new car. And only b/c you can get a lot of vehicle with almost 20% off their "base/low end" models. You don't need a new car - be happy with what you have - its a great thing to apply to many aspects of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back