I see many diesel trucks spewing black soot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed some diesel pickup trucks just belching black soot down the roads.... really black, like a cylinder is dead. Are people just disabling the emissions, or is it the new formulations of diesel?

See a lot of fords and Dodge Rams with this problem. Why is this occurring, I don't know much about diesels and have heard of people installing emission delete kits.

they are mostly uneducated kids. the soot falls to the ground in moments after leaving the tail pipe. so it's really not near as bad as the gas engine exhaust. larger injectors and slow spooling turbos will get black soot.

They've been chipped. They even have "smoke tunes" so the mouth-breathers can "roll coal." It's a scene. And, surprise surprise, it gives "clean diesel" a bad name.

Hillbilly late teens early 20ers that want to rail 16 year old girls at horse barrel racing shows.

That and adult men who are either compensating or have a very low IQ.

Quality, reputable diesel tuners generally refuse to do smoke tunes. These kids are buying generic "tuners" on the internet for $500 and pressing a button to make the engine run far too rich, which creates the black smoke. What a great use of money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: horse123
Hillbilly late teens early 20ers that want to rail 16 year old girls at horse barrel racing shows.

How's that going for you?

That and adult men who are either compensating or have a very low IQ.

Quality, reputable diesel tuners generally refuse to do smoke tunes. These kids are buying generic "tuners" on the internet for $500 and pressing a button to make the engine run far too rich, which creates the black smoke. What a great use of money.

Whatever.....

Originally Posted By: Killer223
they are mostly uneducated kids. the soot falls to the ground in moments after leaving the tail pipe. so it's really not near as bad as the gas engine exhaust. larger injectors and slow spooling turbos will get black soot.

Really? Diesels are notorious for NoX, which is not regular compound in air and very aggressive gas that cause cancer.
There is a reason why new diesels are using SCR emission system and gasoline engines do not.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They've been chipped. They even have "smoke tunes" so the mouth-breathers can "roll coal." It's a scene. And, surprise surprise, it gives "clean diesel" a bad name.

Okay, I knew about the "stacks" to give "big rig" appearance, but never ever seen what I'm seeing googling your quotes.... that is ridiculous!!

That's B.S.

Last edited:
I always point and laugh because a vehicle that smokes is synonymous with a pos. It's just basically white trash "bling".

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

How's that going for you?

Feels so good going to sleep knowing I hurt someone's feelings so hard they stalk me on a forum and reply to every post I make.

The young Amish kids do that around here, & the red necks from Michigan.

They have money to waste from working in the RV Factories.

That was popular here a couple years ago. Now they have emission tests for diesels and a phone number to call and report smokers.

My truck smokes but it's normal as it does not have a turbo. Only way to accelerate is to throw lots of fuel at it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I always point and laugh because a vehicle that smokes is synonymous with a pos. It's just basically white trash "bling".

Well said.

I wish people would quit doing it because now every diesel truck has a $10,000 emission system under it. The eighteen wheelers cost even more, like $20,000.

At the same time those emissions systems are why diesel trucks get such awful MPG and cost so much to run and have such terrible reliability since 2007ish

BRO, do you even TRUCK!?!?!? This is my CUMMINGS DURASTROKE and I gots my tow mirrors fully extended, my rockstar XD wheels on with Nitto Bro-Grapplers and a cheap stereo blasting Luke Aldean, BRO!

At the same time those emissions systems are why diesel trucks get such awful MPG and cost so much to run and have such terrible reliability since 2007ish

Yup. If I were to buy a new 3/4 or 1 ton truck (and I have a use for one currently), I wouldn't even bother with a diesel. I'd get a gas engine and gear it low. Too much to go wrong with, mileage isn't that great any more either.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Yup. If I were to buy a new 3/4 or 1 ton truck (and I have a use for one currently), I wouldn't even bother with a diesel. I'd get a gas engine and gear it low. Too much to go wrong with, mileage isn't that great any more either.

horse is spot on. EGR to an engine is like what smoking does to your lungs. There is urea injection ( now we all know where the wee wee goes) and soot traps. And the price paid is poorer fuel mileage and shorter engine life.
I'll keep my 03 Powerstroke. Minimal pollution gear aboard. I'm running a mild FICM tune, no smoke, and am right at 20MPG highway. And this is where a diesel proves it's worth. With the 10k RV hooked up I still get about 13.5 MPG, and I can get that thing to highway speed quicker than any gas burner, and keep it there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back