Dry heat in Houston?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's like 95 degrees outside right now, pretty much has been all afternoon and I'm hardly even sweating. I kept looking at the temp on my phone and I'm like something isn't right, it just feels way too good out here today. There is a nice cool breeze and everything. Finally realized I guess the humidity is down. Normally it's 95 and 80 percent humidity, no wonder everything is so dry.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So it's like 95 degrees outside right now, pretty much has been all afternoon and I'm hardly even sweating. I kept looking at the temp on my phone and I'm like something isn't right, it just feels way too good out here today. There is a nice cool breeze and everything. Finally realized I guess the humidity is down. Normally it's 95 and 80 percent humidity, no wonder everything is so dry.

The nights have felt really nice here too lately. Warm and breezy.

It's 105* here today. Low humidity and pretty comfortable. No AC just a huge swamp cooler does the job.

I'm in Katy. Temp 95 and humidity on my gauge is showing 45 percent. Yep it's not that high, but 15 minutes outside and I'm sweating like mad. But it sure beats the very high humidity we normally have where you feel like you just stepped into a steam bath when you step outside.

Bet it's cool inside of the Bass Pro Shop
wink.gif

Is there a northwest wind ?? Wind from northwest of Houston would not be so humid due to coming from all land areas north and west. Winds from east and southeast would be obviously much more humid from the Gulf of Mexico on average I would think. A sea breeze in or right near the coast could be cooler IF water temps are sufficiently low enough. Now the Gulf of Mexico is typically mid to upper 80s. Which would certainly be cooler than the land areas. But no where near as much cooling as it is on the west coast for example. I've seen forecast for high temps inland areas near Sacramento at 110°F. Yet near the Pacific coast high temps at the same time will be in the upper 60s to low 70s. In my area where the bay temp is 80° and the Atlantic is in the upper 70s there is a bit of cooling effect right near the coast. But just 2-3 miles away from the coast temps rise quite quickly if there is a prevailing southwest wind.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Is there a northwest wind ?? Wind from northwest of Houston would not be so humid due to coming from all land areas north and west. Winds from east and southeast would be obviously much more humid from the Gulf of Mexico on average I would think. A sea breeze in or right near the coast could be cooler IF water temps are sufficiently low enough. Now the Gulf of Mexico is typically mid to upper 80s. Which would certainly be cooler than the land areas. But no where near as much cooling as it is on the west coast for example. I've seen forecast for high temps inland areas near Sacramento at 110°F. Yet near the Pacific coast high temps at the same time will be in the upper 60s to low 70s. In my area where the bay temp is 80° and the Atlantic is in the upper 70s there is a bit of cooling effect right near the coast. But just 2-3 miles away from the coast temps rise quite quickly if there is a prevailing southwest wind.

Same for So Cal. Several times in summer I drove on a fairly long street about 12-15 miles from Tustin to Newport Beach, the outdoor temperature gauge dropping more than 1 degree F every mile. For about 15 miles distance the temperature can drop up to 15-20 degree F. This is one of many reasons that the house on/near the beach worth 2-3 times similar house 15-20 miles inland.

Low humidity days do happen in Houston. Usually its 97 and low humidity or 92 and high humidity.

I tell people while its hot in Houston in the summertime, its not that bad --- for the first 30 seconds or so.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Low humidity days do happen in Houston. Usually its 97 and low humidity or 92 and high humidity.

I tell people while its hot in Houston in the summertime, its not that bad --- for the first 30 seconds or so.

Yeah it's like after a point the temp gets hot enough to evaporate the humidity? I suppose? I'm out in it all day everyday, so people tell me how do you stand the heat? I think to myself, what heat? Just feels like another day to me, but I did notice the sweat not rolling off my back and the nice cool breeze.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Humidity? What's that?

crackmeup2.gif

I think it's what we put into the air to cool it. I tried explaining that to someone in KS once and she couldn't wrap her head around that one.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Same for So Cal. Several times in summer I drove on a fairly long street about 12-15 miles from Tustin to Newport Beach, the outdoor temperature gauge dropping more than 1 degree F every mile. For about 15 miles distance the temperature can drop up to 15-20 degree F. This is one of many reasons that the house on/near the beach worth 2-3 times similar house 15-20 miles inland.

I remember the same when I used to live in Norcal. Went to SF for a baseball game, came home and I want to say temps were in the 60s. Somewhere on I-80, going down a hill, it was 60-something at the top and 90-something at the bottom according to the outside temp gauge in the car.

Same thing recently, spent the day in Long Beach where it was pleasantly in the 70s, back home it was 105. The opposite is also true, night time lows in the middle of winter along the coast will be low 50s/high 40s. Head an hour east to Riverside and you're looking at low 30s/occasionally high 20s.

That said, the humidity really does make a difference. I was outside taking care of the animals when it was over 100 today, as long as you stay out of the direct sun and there's a breeze blowing (usually is here, otherwise I point one of those big industrial fans at myself if I'm going to be working outside long-term) it's not too bad. Or maybe you just get used to it.

Last edited:
Tell you what HTSS TR look at the Weather Prediction Center (part of the National Weather Service) temperature forecast map sometime soon. Like you said its in southern California that way as well. You will see 10 different color temps from the coast to the inland areas. Remarkable!!

I knew that when I posted my first post here but I just wanted to give that one example from farther north ward.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Dry heat in Houston? Perhaps in the dead of the pseudo winter that we have. It was exactly 100°F in SW and NW Houston yesterday according to my instruments and the humidity was 92%. I installed 3 new LED tube lights in my garage yesterday and all but the bottom 3" of my shirt was totally drenched. I remember being in Amarillo when it was 106°F, but the humidity was 16% and that was a pleasant change from the typical Houston heat where you can practically "swim" to work in the humidity.

People get used to heat with humidity?

Panda feathers! I've lived in this cesspool nearly all my life (not Houston, Noo Awlins) and worked outdoors in it. I've never "gotten used" to it. Especially after visiting and living in places where you don't have to "swim," as 2015_PSD put it, to work, and where you're not constantly accompanied by the twin brothers, Gummy and Sticky.

Originally Posted By: car51
It's 90 here and real humid and tomorrow thru Sunday it will be muggy and 97

You've made countless posts on "here", but we have no idea where "here" for you is.
Why is so difficult for members to show their state at-least, when talking about it?

I grew up in Houston and I never experienced this 'dry heat' you speak of. Must be 'climate change'.
27.gif

They were predicting highs of ~94° here today. It is currently 77°. They might have been a bit off.
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back