Engine Noise differences with different oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 6.7 powerstroke (cab & chassis version). Curious as to what explains why an engine might sound different using different types of oils? I have used two different types of oils Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w-40 and Mobil Delvac ESP 5w-40)...however I have also been using Archoil 9100 last 2 oil changes and could swear the engine sounds a tab bit quieter. What does that mean and why? Others have commented their engines sounding a bit louder/less smooth using certain oils vs. others?
What explains those perceived sound differences for an engineering perspective or is it all in my head?

Thanks,

When you switch oils "the power of suggestion is in top gear" so you have heightened awareness and think all kinds of stuff.

I saw a post on another forum where some guy swore his engine was 'free reving' with the new oil brand (same grade) and got 30% better mileage!! LOL Silly claims abound!!

It's possible the engine computer adjusts for different atmospheric conditions and affects the noise a little.

I do know in an old clunker I had that made bearing and tappet noise with 10W30 ran quieter with way-heavy 20W50 !!! Not recommended on a good engine!

See ya !

35.gif

27.gif

Intellectually, I agree with it all being in my head. Just got me thinking when others noticed similar phenomena. Was curious, if certain combinations of oils (even though the oils meet the same manufacturer certifications) could be better suited to one engine vs. another engine type? Perhaps perceived sound differences, as unscientific as it is, still makes me wonder. Too lazy to actually buy the equipment to test that out...just curious what you all thought? My perceived sound differences were at idle...sounded quieter. Thanks.

If my Wife can hear difference and she normally does not notice anything at all I would say its clear evidence it can potentially make a large difference yes.
Depends on your hearing really and the engine.

I am not sure why it happens, but RT6 is noisier than any other synthetic I have tried in my 6.7L. Mobil Delvac 1 and Chevron Delo are quieter and Kendall Super-Dxa is the quietest of the bunch.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I am not sure why it happens, but RT6 is noisier than any other synthetic I have tried in my 6.7L. Mobil Delvac 1 and Chevron Delo are quieter and Kendall Super-Dxa is the quietest of the bunch.

I guess I have to shop around and find some Delo synthetic in my cummins. I've been only using RT6. Isn't super-dxa a blend?

I have to say that Castrol gold bottle, Pennzoil ultra, Castrol 0w30, Quaker State Ultimate Durability and Havoline Pro DS all have run very quiet in my car. Mobil Super Synthetic ran pretty good quiet as well too. Only API SN Royal Purple ran loudly in my car. It's not that RP is bad stuff because it's not. I bet the RP with Synerlec would be much much better than the API SN version.

Don't know why there is a difference but there is at times.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

I guess I have to shop around and find some Delo synthetic in my cummins. I've been only using RT6. Isn't super-dxa a blend?
Yes, the Kendall is a SynBlend in 15W-40.

There is difference.
Castrol 0W30/40 always ran quieter in my VW's then Mobil1 0W40. It was apparent difference on top of not so good cold start of M1 0W40 (old VISOM version).
Now I put in Tiguan Castrol 0W40 first time since they added Titanium, and I can actually notice smoother noise. VW Tiguan has characteristic engine noise that is not present in other VW models using same engine (I had CC with same engine).
Last Saturday I put in BMW Valvoline 5W40 MST, dumping M1 5W30 ESP.
It is bit smoother, but it is expected from thicker oil.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Any technical explanation as to why this happens?

I would say it is combination of base and additives.
Just because engine is bit louder does not mean it does not protect engine properly.
I am more concerned with oils that create noise during cold start.

Noise is generated from metal to metal contact..... in the forms of 'hitting' and relative motion.
Different parts of an engine has different frequencies ....... and different resonant frequencies.
In this vibrating 'system', oil does act as a vibration damper ....... in the context of vibration analysis.
Note:A suspension shock absorber in a car IS a 'vibration damper'.
Just my
49.gif

Interesting you feel the Kendall 15w-40 was the smoothest. I have been interested in trying when my Mobil Delvac supply runs out? Could all this (speculative discussion) have anything to do with some oils meeting vs. exceeding manufacturers' specs? Great stuff...thanks to all for sharing.

I've noticed time and time again that anything Mobil 1 I use in any of my vehicles (Especially my ford modulars) is the noisiest of all oils. It doesn't matter the flavor (used 5W30, 0W40 etc) the engines make so much more noise that my wife notices it! I don't hate M1 oils, but I won't use them again in anything I own.

Usually good ol Pennzoil yellow bottle is about the quietest oil I have found in PCMO's. Still experimenting in my new (to me) Ford PSD.

Last edited:
Interesting you feel the Kendall 15w-40 was the smoothest. I have been interested in trying when my Mobil Delvac supply runs out? Could all this (speculative discussion) have anything to do with some oils meeting vs. exceeding manufacturers' specs? Great stuff...thanks to all for sharing.
I am not sure, but of the oils that I have tried so far (Chevon Delo 400 LW 5W-40, Shell Rotella T6 5W-40, Kendall SynBlend Super-Dxa 15W-40, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40, and Chevron Delo 400 XLE 10W-30), only the Shell and the Kendall oils meet the Ford specification for a Powerstroke (WSS-M2C171–E) with one being the noisiest and the other the quietest.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I would say it is combination of base and additives.
Just because engine is bit louder does not mean it does not protect engine properly.
I am more concerned with oils that create noise during cold start.

I would agree with your statement as I have noticed my Cummins sounds a bit quieter with Delo 15w40 than others. I would attribute this to the additive packs with more boron & moly in them I suspect.

Some engines just react to different oil and make different noises, lots of different things moving at different speeds and different materials have different resonant frequencies. I suppose different oils have varying affects on dampening these frequencies, probably something to do with slightly different viscosity and dampening effects.

From my experiences, some oils do result in different engine noise. When I had my '04 6.0 powerstroke (before I traded for my current '07), I used RT6 5w40, then switched to Mobil 1 TDT and the Mobil 1 was "smoother". With Rotella it was no doubt more "choppy" and loud. I do believe it definately a lot to do with Basestocks and additives. Personally, I've noticed Amsoil, Delo and Delvac all have this smooth feel/sound in the motor.

In the cars I have (F-150, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Rogue), pennzoil and Amsoil runs smoother than Mobil 1. Best fuel mileage came with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 and Amsoil 5w30 ASL.

Just my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back