Fuel mileage 5w-40 vs 10w-30 in newer dsl pickups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am talking about STOCK diesel pickups with diesel exhaust filters.

For those of you who have used both weight oils and keep close records of fuel mileage (not the lie-o-meter in the dash)...how much difference in fuel mileage is there really? I'd be willing to bet it's not that much.

Obviously don't compare 10w-30 just driving around vs 5w-40 towing a load.

My Navara (3.0 turbodiesel), I can't see the difference between 5W40 and 5W30 (A4/B4) at all.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
My Navara (3.0 turbodiesel), I can't see the difference between 5W40 and 5W30 (A4/B4) at all.

Probably because the HTHS values are so close.

Originally Posted By: alcyon
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Probably because the HTHS values are so close.

True, Delo CXJ (15.8cst 15W40) DID appear to move it negatively...but a 10W30 (presumably HDMO) is going to be in the same boat as the OP's 5W40 comparo.

I have used 5W-40 since I dumped the factory fill of 10W-30 at 1570 miles. On my last OC, I used Chevron Delo XLE 10W-30 and I am about 1000 miles into the OCI. I see (perhaps, maybe, might be, possibly) a slight uptick in MPG, but it could also be simple variances too. I am guessing that for the average Powerstroke owner the differences will be negligible, if notable at all.

While not a quite a fool proof scientific study, I have extensive records on 15w40 vs 10w30 in my 2013 Freightliner with a Detroit 60. I pull the same general loads over the same areas. From Jan thru April of 2015, the average mpg using 15w40 was 7.01 mpg. For Jan thru April of 2016, and using 10w30, the average mpg was 7.25. Now those are not spreads that mean a lot to auto and pickup owners, but that spread is around $2000 in saved fuel cost in one year for a semi truck, based on an average 130,000 miles a year. There is no way it can be totally proven that the 10w30 made the difference, as there is no way to replicate the exact loads, on the exact same roads, with the same exact weather conditions. But it is about as realistic as one can hope to achieve for a valid comparison. Thinking of trying a 5w40 this winter to get some oil sample results and see what the average mpg is for Jan thru April of 2017 to compare.

Would be interesting to see what the Delo 400 LE 5w30 could achieve for you in fuel economy. Specifically over an annual basis. I bet it may be worth a try.

Originally Posted By: CT8
2.12% ? if I figured it out properly That is pretty good !

Probably closer to 3%, but same general ballpark as your figure. Improvement was definitely there. And I had put new rubber on the truck in the fall of 2015, so given that newer rubber had a little more rolling resistance than rubber where the tread has worn down in early 2015, that 3% is pretty substantial. Not really sure a 5w30 would make a difference. At full engine operating temp, it is the same viscosity as a 10w30 anyway. Well, AC was on a little, in that it comes on automatically when I switch to defrost mode in winter. But that really is a kind of a moot question anyway, as the engine is having to move 32,500 lb of truck full of fuel with an average payload in the trailer of around 37,000 lb, with a max of 46,000 lb in the trailer. I think turning an AC compressor is chump change in the overall scheme of things for a 500 hp 1750 lb torque engine.

AC question was meant for humor based on the AC thread right before it ...
I think it's a net positive even on smaller vehicles just slipping through the air better ...
Sure plenty of them running country wide this month ...

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

Probably closer to 3%, but same general ballpark as your figure. Improvement was definitely there. And I had put new rubber on the truck in the fall of 2015, so given that newer rubber had a little more rolling resistance than rubber where the tread has worn down in early 2015, that 3% is pretty substantial. Not really sure a 5w30 would make a difference. At full engine operating temp, it is the same viscosity as a 10w30 anyway. Well, AC was on a little, in that it comes on automatically when I switch to defrost mode in winter. But that really is a kind of a moot question anyway, as the engine is having to move 32,500 lb of truck full of fuel with an average payload in the trailer of around 37,000 lb, with a max of 46,000 lb in the trailer. I think turning an AC compressor is chump change in the overall scheme of things for a 500 hp 1750 lb torque engine.

how much thread on the new tyres, versus the old? The miles will be underreportedwith the new tyres, so going by the miles driven the difference might even be bigger than you calculated. But that's assuming you used the same brand a model tyres.

FEViscosity.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
so, going from 5w-40 A3/B4 to 0w-30 A3/B4 I gained maybe 0.2%? That must be why I don't notice it.... Maybe in winter I'll notice more.

You won't.

Well, my commute is only 2 miles, so I could. If I were to drive straight to work the engine wouldn't even get half warm before I'm there.

But I won't...

My consumption is really good as it is anyway, currently at 5.2 l/100 km. 5.1 that is, as I'm using bigger tyres and have now the computer over reports.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

how much thread on the new tyres, versus the old? The miles will be underreportedwith the new tyres, so going by the miles driven the difference might even be bigger than you calculated. But that's assuming you used the same brand a model tyres.

The tires both times same Michelin 445/50R22.5 wide based single drive tires. The old tires had 447,000 miles on them and 8-9/32 when they got pulled off. The new ones started out with 24/32. At the time of the mpg for 2015, the old tires were around 350,000 miles. The new ones had about 70,000 on them mid period of the 2016 mpg comparison.

So then I am basically hearing no real difference in 5w-40 vs 10w-30 in diesel pickups. So why would anybody use a 10w-30? I think it is proven the 5w-40 provides better protection if you load it down or get it real hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back