What stores can I find motorcycle oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with the Napa filter. It is Wix and of better quality than the Fram.

As for OCI, I would think that 4,500 may be a bit high for a conventional HDEO, especially if you are doing short rides. I change oil when I notice a marked decline in shift quality.

Last edited:
One more thing guys.

Does Walmart, Napa, Autozone or Advanced Auto sell motorcycle chain degreasers and lubers/waxers?

I saw walmart had it listed on their website about Dupont Chain Saver or whatever but when I went to my store I couldn't find it. They must not stock it at my store.

I hate buying things online, I'd rather pick something up right-then-and-there at a store and not have to wait LOL!

I don't have an O'Reillys etc. Like said, I have Fisher/Federated Auto Parts, WM, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts and Napa. I called Fishers Auto parts and they said they have a chain lube.

I am half tempted to use my bar&chain oil and just make sure I get it on good without it flying all over the back seat or on the rear tire lol

Edit: I did see a Walmart in a town near me (about a 30 minute drive) has the Dupont Teflon Chain Saver "Dry self cleaning lubricant" for only 6.57. I heard this is really good stuff, should I still buy a degreaser. I racked up about 500 miles and I was told that is when I should degrease and lube my chain.

Last edited:
Also is there any reason why I couldn't use a grill brush to clean the chain?

If it's an O-ring chain, and it should be, you maybe could tear up the O-rings with a wire brush. I use a nylon brush on my VFR800 chain along with Gunk Engine Brite. And I have Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 in the crankcase. The bike shifts fine. The VFR800 also specs 10W-40 in the crankcase. I may try the Delo 400 15W-40 I have on hand, but don't expect to see much difference.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
If it's an O-ring chain, and it should be, you maybe could tear up the O-rings with a wire brush. I use a nylon brush on my VFR800 chain along with Gunk Engine Brite. And I have Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 in the crankcase. The bike shifts fine. The VFR800 also specs 10W-40 in the crankcase. I may try the Delo 400 15W-40 I have on hand, but don't expect to see much difference.

I was wondering because I initially see no difference between this "Grunge brush" and a grill brush.

FWIW, I've been using a 1" paint brush and Kerosene, to clean my motorcycle chains since the early 80's. I don't like stiff bristle brushes for O-ring chains, as they can force stuff past the O-rings. Now if you were using a non O-ring chain, a stiff-bristle brush wouldn't matter. Your CBR should have an O-ring chain.

For chain lube this is my current pick, after trying all that I could find over the years:

X001.jpg

I used the DuPont chain saver and it is good stuff. It can fling, but if you put it on a warm chain you will have very very little fling off. The warm chain flashes off the solvents quicker and better.

As for cleaning, save the degreaser. I use diesel and an old stiff bristle tooth brush. I put the diesel in a generic cleaning spray bottle I picked up in the cleaning supply section of the wal mart. Hose the chain down...let it sit for a bit, scrub, and hose it off with more diesel and wipe clean with paper shop towels. If you have kerosene available locally via a fueling station....even better. I don't have that option so I use its cousin...Diesel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

I would avoid the T6, the 5w40 oils tend to shear rather quickly down to a 30 weight. They just get torn up by the tranmission in shared sump systems. Stick with the 15w40.

^^^^^^^ That ... and
Rotella 15/40 is a fine choice if you want the Jaso oil claim, the other 15/40 s are fine too.

As far as the difference between the above commercial oils and motorcycle oil is the commercial oils meet a more stringent set of API specifications.

Last edited:
I have been riding for nearly 20 years.

94 600 Kawasaki Ninja
98 Honda Superhawk
01 Aprilia Falco
02 Aprilia Falco
5k oci with filter changes once a year.
The "best" (meaning transmission felt the best over the most amount of time) oil I have used is Supertech
15w-40. In the winter time I mix 1/2 a bottle of Rotella 5w-40.

ppTOKQU.jpg

as far as chain cleaner I use diesel fuel.
as far as chain lube I use old motor oil soaked rag rubbed over a warm chain.
dedicated chain lube is a waste of money and is so tacky is attracts road grime and tiny rocks dirt etc.

Originally Posted By: brave sir robin
I have been riding for nearly 20 years.

94 600 Kawasaki Ninja
98 Honda Superhawk
01 Aprilia Falco
02 Aprilia Falco
5k oci with filter changes once a year.
The "best" (meaning transmission felt the best over the most amount of time) oil I have used is Supertech
15w-40. In the winter time I mix 1/2 a bottle of Rotella 5w-40.

ppTOKQU.jpg

as far as chain cleaner I use diesel fuel.
as far as chain lube I use old motor oil soaked rag rubbed over a warm chain.
dedicated chain lube is a waste of money and is so tacky is attracts road grime and tiny rocks dirt etc.

Good looking bike. I figured any 15w40 would do the trick. I figured I might as well go with Rotella since the price difference between the two isn't something to convince me to change.

As for cleaning, lowes is right beside my walmart so it's not hard to find kerosene either so I think that is what I'll go with.
For lubing, I have already ordered the Dupont Teflon Chain Saver. They have good reviews. When both cans run out I will probably take one of my many bottles of bar&chain oil and use a rag and do the method you just mentioned.

Thanks

Edit:
Just to be fun here it is:

Last edited:
I still have some of the Dupont chain saver in the back of my truck. It did work better than dedicated motorcycle chain lube.
I use a biodiesel mix for cleaning grease and oil on everything. Its cheap and works excellent.

Originally Posted By: brave sir robin
I still have some of the Dupont chain saver in the back of my truck. It did work better than dedicated motorcycle chain lube.
I use a biodiesel mix for cleaning grease and oil on everything. Its cheap and works excellent.

Good to hear! haha

I actually just read through my owners manual and it says to use 80 or 90 SAE gear oil. So that is pretty good news as I can just get SuperTech gear oil only a mile down the road. I will just get a paint brush and cut it down to be more stubby and then apply a thin layer of it on the chain and wipe with a soft cloth to remove any excess.

This sounds like a way better alternative than using bar and chain oil as it is very tacky and I could see it collecting dirt pretty quickly.

Lesson to be learned: read the owner's manual fully
12.gif

I tried gear oil on my old Yamaha and it was a mess. Slung all over hades and attracted dust and grime like no other. It does get tacky enough to be a dust magnet.

If you can find it and they are not charging an arm and a leg...Castrol Chain Wax is another good one. Belray Super Clean is also pretty decent.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I tried gear oil on my old Yamaha and it was a mess. Slung all over hades and attracted dust and grime like no other. It does get tacky enough to be a dust magnet.

If you can find it and they are not charging an arm and a leg...Castrol Chain Wax is another good one. Belray Super Clean is also pretty decent.

I figured some would fly off unless I apply a super thin layer although might cake up somewhere and fly off. But for price it's hard to beat.

I will check with motorcycle shops around me to see if they have anything. I might pop in to Fisher's/Federated Auto Parts store as I called and they said they had motorcycle chain lube but they told me nothing of the brand.

Once I find out what it is I will research if it is any good or not.

Since it doesn't seem that Walmart sells straight 80 or 90 gear oil I will just get their 80w-90

I will just tell you to one thing...some stores carry the Champion chain lube....don't get that. It is basically white grease that will get everywhere and be one of the worst grit magnets ever.

Works good on slower chain drive things though. I use it for my garage door.

I actually saw that listed on Walmart's site and I did some researching on reviews and it has an overwhelming amount of bad reviews that I will not even give it a thought

Home Depot sells Liquid Wrench brand chain lube. That's what I used when I had a bike with a chain. WD40 to clean it firsr.

Originally Posted By: Anduril
Home Depot sells Liquid Wrench brand chain lube. That's what I used when I had a bike with a chain. WD40 to clean it firsr.

No Home Depot here :] just Lowe's

Are you guys sure I shouldn't use the T6? There has just been a thread posted that Rotella is getting a make over and will supposedly be more shear stable now?

I have no problem with the difference of a 5w40 vs a 15w40, but I would like to use a synthetic oil if possible for that price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back