Meat Grinder/Raw Dog Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know of a reasonably priced (under $250) meat grinder to make raw, homemade dog food with? I need a quality grinder that will grind up chicken wing bones (no bigger bones than that) and all other meats, with ease.

A lot of the less expensive grinders have some plastic internals. I don't like that. I see that Cabela's has one called the Carnivore in a 0.5 hp. It's rated very well but is pricey at $379. Some company called STX International (Chinese) has a decent looking one called the STX-3000 Turboforce. It's only $170....but it makes me wonder about longevity. I can't find a local dealer of that one either and I won't buy one unless I can touch it. Bass Pro has an LEM brand Redhead "Big Bite" for $269....but I can't find any good reviews or specifics for this one.

raw dog food is an extremely expensive hobby, as such i wouldnt skimp on a cheap grinder.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
raw dog food is an extremely expensive hobby, as such i wouldnt skimp on a cheap grinder.

Well, it's no more expensive (unless you count the price of the grinder) than the high quality kibble I've been buying at $45 to $60 a bag. I can get organ meats and low cost cuts of meat for pretty cheap. The costs are either equal or less...and I can provide even better nutrition.

I just wish I could find a grinder that doesn't cost too much.

I do like the Cabela's Carnivore. If I can't find anything better for less, I'll just buy it.

Last edited:
I don't know. Feeding a dog raw meat all the time? If you have to cook it, that's even more time. I think the cost of dog food is quite reasonable. I buy Pedigree. The dog is going on 17 and still pretty darn active. I started giving her canned too, since she is getting old and stays outside, still the convenience outweighs making my own.

Last edited:
Any small butchers left in your area? One of ours would sell ground and mixed raw meat and organs for dogs. We also bought chicken backs from them and they didn't need to be ground. Depending on the breed and how you feed them, but I'd think most dogs would have no troubles eating raw chicken wing bones alone. Ours gets bones of all sizes, cooked (which is worse) and uncooked but they know what they are doing and eat relatively calmly.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Any small butchers left in your area? One of ours would sell ground and mixed raw meat and organs for dogs. We also bought chicken backs from them and they didn't need to be ground. Depending on the breed and how you feed them, but I'd think most dogs would have no troubles eating raw chicken wing bones alone. Ours gets bones of all sizes, cooked (which is worse) and uncooked but they know what they are doing and eat relatively calmly.

I do have a butcher a couple of blocks away. I get 10 pounds of the ground beef from him. The rest of the organ meats I use (heads, necks, wings, gizzards, heart, liver, brains, eyes, duck heads, qual, chicken feet, etc.) I get from an asian market a little ways away. The local butcher is a distributer for some guys local raw mix...but I prefer to provide my own and know exactly what portions of the nutrient dense meat I am adding so as not to over do it.

I've not tried given my dogs whole wings or any meat with bones yet. I am very cautious about that. I know that raw bones are much more safe, but I had a dog before that ate everything without breaking it up first. He had a couple of surgeries because of his weird habit. I stay away from bones for now unless I can grind them up (like the egg shells).

Next you'll be wanting to make your own goldfish food.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I have a grinder from LEM - it's just the economy $100 model and it works pretty well. Don't run a lot of meat through at a time but has been flawless.

I've heard that LEM makes good machines. The one I want is about $400!!! A bit too much for me right now.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Next you'll be wanting to make your own goldfish food.
smile.gif

No...but I might add the goldfish to the grinder....!

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I don't know. Feeding a dog raw meat all the time? If you have to cook it, that's even more time. I think the cost of dog food is quite reasonable. I buy Pedigree. The dog is going on 17 and still pretty darn active. I started giving her canned too, since she is getting old and stays outside, still the convenience outweighs making my own.

I've been doing a lot of research on the topic and come to believe that this is best for my dogs. I typically was feeding them grain-free high end kibble. It's expensive...but worked better make the dogs a bit more active and healthy (including the stool). After doing some raw recipes this week, I am noticing MUCH better stools and the dogs love the meat. I also greatly enjoy adding nutritious meats knowing that they get ALL of the benefits of a natural diet and one that the dogs are designed for.

Of course...it's just my opinion as I've seen dogs raised on the cheapest store bought dog food available doing just fine.

I guess it's almost like motor oils and it's properties for me.

You could check out The Sausage Maker for prices (they should have a website). I know they used to make some of the stuff that Cabelas sells (not sure if they still do). They are a locally owned business in my area that makes a lot of their own products in house. I bought my grinders about 25 years ago, so I haven't really looked around for prices in a long time... not sure how competitive they are.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I thought dogs can't eat chicken bones because they splinter?

All cooked bones are dangerous. Raw bones in general are ok except for maybe weight bearing bones where a dog can break a tooth on them.

Last edited:
I remember my dad going down to the Westside Market and getting a free dog bone. He would put her outside and she would naw on that thing for what seemed like hours. When finished she would come to door wanting to come in. She was a happy camper. Then earlier in the day she would take a ride with my dad to the bakery for some apple cider cake donuts. She loved those things. She wouldn't even chew them, straight down the hatch like an alligator eats.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Anybody know of a reasonably priced (under $250) meat grinder to make raw, homemade dog food with? I need a quality grinder that will grind up chicken wing bones (no bigger bones than that) and all other meats, with ease.

I hope you're working with your vet to make sure you are building a food plan that provides all the nutrients that your dog needs.
An under $60 bag of Natural Balance LID or Nutro Ultra dog food feeds my pups for a month, and I don't have to worry about their health.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: andrewg

I hope you're working with your vet to make sure you are building a food plan that provides all the nutrients that your dog needs.
An under $60 bag of Natural Balance LID or Nutro Ultra dog food feeds my pups for a month, and I don't have to worry about their health.

BC.

Most Vets are not very up on dog nutrition and raw foods versus processed. Nor do they get themselves very educated about grains vs. meat. The dog food companies are somewhat like pharmaceutical companies. The relationships between vets and food manufacturers does not always benefit the animal.

I've done plenty of research. I've also read comparisons of all the various dog food types (nutritionally) as well as raw foods packaged and for sale that meets all the requirements. My own food matches those requirements while not exceeding certain overly rich organ meats.

Vets can be like auto mechanics. Not many mechanics are up on oil properties....but they know the mechanicals well. Vets can be similar about dogs. Not all...but many.

Went to Cabelas today and looked for the .5hp meat grinder for $379. Wouldn't you know the only one the had left was a display model? (I don't buy display models...parts can often be missing).

So....I asked about the next step up...the 3/4hp. Nope....no dice. Geez!!

Spent some serious money and got the 1hp model for well over $500! It was the one they had in stock and it's a thing of beauty. Extremely well built (heavy at 65lbs.), solid, and can grind like a monster. Should easily last me the rest of my life.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

BC.
The LID line is heavy on potatoes and rice. Stuff dogs wouldn't naturally eat. Making dog food at home is superior to most of the store bought stuff. Even the high dollar stuff. If you want to put in the effort. I read every label in Petco one day looking for a good food at a sensible price. Wasn't successful. Kept buying the 4 Health stuff at Tractor Supply. It's nothing special but at least it isn't full of corn and soy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back