Timing belt tensioner bolt broke while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure does look like an impact was used, some people don't know how to use their tools properly or refuse to use a torque wrench to save time.
I can see these new mini high power impact guns becoming a real problem, their small size gets them into places never before accessible to an real impact gun.
The enormous power from these small tools is amazing but in the hands of a hack will wreak havoc when they use them for assembly.

It's the stupid "I AIN'T GONNA HERE NONE ABOUT SUMTHIN CUMMIN LOOOOOOOOSE" attitude that causes these problems.

I have heard technicians boast that they use "BIG TORK" on everything, so they never have a loosening issue.

In the first post when I read "Shop says they installed it with the required 29 torque", I knew it was improperly installed. This is just another reason why I do my own maintenance. Shop mechanics can't work on anything without their air tools.

Here is the response from Gates, as posted in the legacy forum thread. It obvious the bolt was over torqued and taken into the plastic deformation range.

6193194963b2dd1c729a3af36614f632.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back