Ethanol in daily driven 84 Olds - options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the gas they mix for winter has more ethanol in it. So summer gas should be ok esp if it's top tier fuel like Shell, BP etc.

Well, I'm far from being a farmer. I'm just a guy trying to give you the benefit of my experience in using E10 for thirty years or so in a wide variety of old and new road vehicles and OPEs.
I can tell you based upon decades of actual experience that the downside of using E10 is nothing, but you don't seem to want to hear that. There is no observable loss in fuel economy that we saw during the transitional period and there are no fuel system or carburetor problems either. The OPE shops often use E10 as the scapegoat for the bad results of the last half-baked carburetor "rebuild" they did, but seldom used OPEs stored wet have always had problems and have always been gravy to small engine shops.
If you post here, you should expect those of us with actual experience to relate that to you, rather than the nonsense delivered in stentorian prose that some other posters in this thread have offered. In short, if you want advice based upon real experience, there are those here who can deliver it.
If that isn't what you want to hear, then you could simply save everyone's time and not start a thread.

None I know of. The additives are to keep the ethanol from leaving deposits in my carburetor, drying out the rubber fuel lines and seals etc. There is nothing i can do about the mpg loss other than to pay more than $10 extra per tank. My driving habits are too varied like lately to get meaningful results from mileage tests both ways. I never know where I'll be going or when I'll be refilling.

Edit: forgot to mention, I had to replace 5 year old rubber fuel hoses near the gas tank that cracked to the point of leaking. They were brand new when we put them in.

It's not that I don't want to hear you, it's that you and a handful of people haven't seen a problem, where as there is a lot of evidence to the contrary. Maybe it's all bogus, but i think it's about time I do an experiment to prove it to myself one way or the other. It's easy enough for me to leave some gas in a couple junk carbs for several months and see what happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Never had a problem with E10 87 octane on older late '70s early '80s Fords. GM might be different.

Nah, GM no different. Ran a 1974 Pontiac Catalina with a carbureted 400 engine on E10 from late 70's till the car died of body cancer in the late 90's. Engine and fuel system were still fine. Never added any of the off the shelf stuff to the fuel. Car would set for a couple of weeks at a time frequently and never had any fuel related problems.

Well it seems like most of the issues must be only from vehicles parked for winter with ethanol in them. If this many people have had no issues in old daily drivers than I'll take my chances with it through the summer's. Back when these cars were common year round drivers there was no e10 in this area that I know of.

So there were white spots of buildup that looks like plaque on the surfaces in and around the fuel bowl area. I remember hearing about ethanol causing white cruddy buildup but don't know if this is the case here. I'm still waiting for the parts I thought i ordered from summit but did not, so I can put the carb back on with some tweaks for better fuel economy. I still think the ethanol is the root of the problem. Many people around here have seen the evidence of it.

MR CAPRICE
First-- i want to commend you on keeping the 84 Olds on the road even with a donor 350. I had an 83 CS 307 2 door which ran for 18 years & 256,000 miles until the trans went the 3nd time (First time was trans cooler in the radiator leaked, 2nd time [censored] rebuild, 3nd time another [censored] rebuild) loved that car to no end---but---with the 307 & 2.14 gears I could barely hit 22 mpg on the best day.
I love the QJ too--lots of guys trade them in for Holleys but the real wrenches know QJ is soooo far superior.Had them on a 74 Caprice, 83 Cutlass & my 77 T/A 6.6 Pontiac motor. I believe the white deposits are corrosion on the aluminum parts
Steve

I use a variety. Canadian tire, petro Canada, Esso, ultramar, shell.

I didn't need the donor 350. I pulled the perfectly working 305 Chevy (Canadian cars got this engine instead of the 307), because i wanted more power and an olds engine. The transmission is the overdrive unit from my previous rusted out cutlass, so the trans outlasted the car, and the engine in there now outlasted at least 2 cars it was in.

Now I'm using Canadian tire 91 octane and riding my bicycle to work most days to save gas.

To avoid ethanol, most of the premiums will work in Canada, with a couple exceptions. If using premium, I would stick with Shell or Esso, considering that one offering tends to use a bit of methanol in the winter blend here, which makes me a bit antsy.

I won't say so publicly, and cannot confirm it's still used, but you can figure it out which one I mean fairly easily.
wink.gif
It's the one that really pushes their winter gas blends on their red pumps when the bad weather hits. For whatever reason, on that product, too, my G37 just doesn't run as smooth and gets a couple other minor issues at times, which I never have with Esso or Shell. But, it's only on that vehicle. The F-150 simply doesn't care, nor did any other vehicle I've ever owned. And, I'm exceedingly peeved about it, because I do generally like the way they operate.

Methanol certainly works as a gas line antifreeze and a fuel additive, but is highly corrosive. I'd seek E10 intentionally over an E0 that happens to use methanol instead. I would suspect that only their premium would contain methanol, since the other grades are ethanol enriched and wouldn't need it. The G37, however, requires premium. Basically, if you're trying to avoid ethanol, don't replace it with something worse.

I have used the gumout products when they're on sale at Canadian tire. Also used stabil marine for ethanol. Now I have high test in both cars and gas mileage in the one has been great the last 2 tanks. 27mpg U.S. on a trip to the Cottage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back