Question on '13 Accord CVT fluid level

Status
Not open for further replies.
The instructions I have says it takes 3.75 quarts of HCF-2 to refill. I
measured the amount in it with a dowel before draining and it took 8 Inches
of dowel before reaching the oil level. I didn't measure what came out
(which was rather dark with 50K on it) but in refilling it took all four
quarts to nearly, but not quite, reach the level that it had originally.
I'm not at all sure it had the correct amount to begin with as the transmission
was worked on at about 15K and replenished then.

Is there any info on how high the fluid should be when measuring with a
dowel? It only has a rubber plug without a dip stick.

On this transmission the process is:

Drain the fluid
Replace fluid with the specified quantity
Start the engine and run the transmission through the gears
Turn off engine
Open the overflow port on the transmission. Ideally a small amount of fluid should flow out - wait until this stops. If it doesn't flow out, add fluid until it does.

Of course, this must be done on a level surface.

The "dipstick" you refer to is not a dipstick at all. The only way to check fluid level is via the overflow port.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Dan, thanks for quick feedback. The overflow port is the BLUE plug above drain?

Sorry, can't help you there. But there must be videos out there or information on Accord forums that will help. Mazda 6 speed manuals are refilled the same way and there are a few bolts that look promising for the overflow port - but removing a certain one of these would be catastrophic. So make sure your bolt choice is correct. Good luck!

Not sure exactly which year they are for but I've seen the exact same instructions on a few sites and they all pull from the same service manual pages providing the same info.

------------------------------------------

RCuMfBf.jpg

fwdTZdR.jpg

ByLi9nQ.jpg

Done this many times on my 2014 Accord and Civic. The info so far is all correct, the only thing not noted is that when you add more fluid make sure the check bolt is in. If you don't, the fluid you add will pour right out of the hole. (made this mistake the first time)

Also, don't sweat the fact that you put a little more in.

Thanks guys for the info and pics. They are exactly like the drain and check bolt on my '13 other than
my check bolt is painted blue. When I opened the check bolt a tiny bit came out.

Afterwards I measured from that bolt to the top of the refill plug, and it is approx 8 inches. Seems an easy
way to periodically check your transmission fluid level.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Not sure exactly which year they are for but I've seen the exact same instructions on a few sites and they all pull from the same service manual pages providing the same info.

------------------------------------------

*Diagrams and pics posted, but not included for redundancy reasons.

Thanks for the diagrams, instructions and pic BF, excellent. I watched a decent youtube on this procedure several times but had difficulty spotting the check bolt in it.

Could you point me to where you found the diagrams and pic? Won't need to do it for some time but just wondering about the reference origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back