Shell Shows Off New Portfolio of CK-4 Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
DustyRoads tipped me off to this article so I thought that I would share it with all of you (main text below). Slide 7 of the presentation has the new bottles and starting in August the old bottles will be CK-4 oil but will not have the CK-4 logo on them until December.

Originally Posted By:
Shell Lubricants showed off its new “portfolio” of Shell Rotella CK-4 and FA-4 oils diesel engine oils, designed to meet Proposed Category 11 (PC-11) specifications finalized back in February, at a special media event in Washington D.C. Shell’s Rotella T4 Triple Protection 15W-40 and 10W-30, along with T5 Synthetic Blend 10W-30, meet the new CK-4 service category and will become available in August – though they will not be “licensed” as such until Dec. 1 – while Rotella oils meeting the FA-4 spec will arrive later this year.

Shell's Portfolio of CK-4 Oils

If CJ-4 oils go on sale to make room for new cert. Oils...should one stock up more on CJ-4 or go with new cert.? What are the main differences? Is it more emissions related? Fuel mileage related? Thanks.

I noticed that the T6 looked to be 5w-30. I wonder if this means that they won't have 5w-40 in the future? I hope not, I like that oil for my ATV.

Rotella should have had a 5w-30 already in North America. They were behind the curve on that one.
wink.gif

As for sales, they could just do the Canadian thing and let the old stock work its way out naturally, at full price.

So is this a new Rotella formulation, or does Rotella already meet this new standard?

Do not mess with Rotella, it fills a niche market for a good cheap oil.

when tractor supply puts their oil on sale i buy it in bulk, usually 30-40 gallons at a time.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
So is this a new Rotella formulation, or does Rotella already meet this new standard?
I am thinking anything made before 01 August is CJ-4 (old formulation) and while it may meet the new CK-4 requirement, I am betting it does not and thus a new formulation is needed.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Do not mess with Rotella, it fills a niche market for a good cheap oil.
Chevron holds that title. In every place I have price checked, the ranking from cheapest to most expensive is always Chevron, then Shell, then Mobil.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
If CJ-4 oils go on sale to make room for new cert. Oils...should one stock up more on CJ-4 or go with new cert.? What are the main differences? Is it more emissions related? Fuel mileage related? Thanks.
I would stock up on whatever is cheapest which should be the CJ-4, but (speaking for me) I would only go for CJ-4 synthetic when it can be had cheap.

Here is a good description of the changes with CK-4:

CK-4 and what you need to know

Watch for Rotella T4 bottles on shelves soon. T4 is the new designation for the conventional 15W40 and 10W30 (the traditional white bottle) triple protection. That is the CK-4 oil but they can't put that in the API donut until December 1st.

Also a new T5 (triple protection plus) will be on the way in August. It is also CK-4 oil but will be listed as CJ-4 until December.

A new T6 5W30 (dual rated for diesel/gasoline) is coming as well. At this time T6 5W40 is not yet upgraded to the new CK-4 level.

Check out the new Rotella site.

Last edited:
It looks like they're using natural gas derived base oils as well. There's a video on the updated Rotella site that mentions their Pure Plus technology. I guess that's why they're calling the new formulas "triple protection plus".

If you zoom in on slide 9 you can see the entire product lineup:
T6 (Full Synthetic): 0W40 CJ-4, 5W30 CK-4 (Multivehicle), 5W40 CK-4
T5 (Synthetic Blend): 10W30 CK-4, 10W30 FA-4, 15W40 CK-4, 15W40 NGEO
T4 (Conventional): 10W30 CK-4, 15W40 CK-4
T3 (Fleet Grade): 15W40 CK-4, 15W40 NGEO
T2 (HD): 15W40 CK-4
T1: 10W CF, SAE 30 CF/CF-2, SAE 40 CF/CF-2, SAE 50, CF/CF-2

Also note on slide 7 it talks about a presenation on PurePlus going into Rotella in December so T6/T5 are probably GTL Containing.

Last edited:
I will be due for an oil change in September and will be looking to pounce on the new stuff then. Chances are Delo and Delvac will have their new formulas on the store shelves, too. No need to wait for the official licensing date of December 1st to sell the improved oils.

If nobody else is advertising that their new formulas are for sale in a CJ-4 bottle, I'll go for the new T5.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
I'll be sticking with T6 in the 5w-40 flavor, and will switch over as soon as the CK-4 comes out. Looks like it will provide less ash in the DPF and that will result in less DPF cleaning cycles needed. WIN for the new stuff.
I want to see the other oil companies offerings as well, but I totally like the reduction of regens, so indeed a win for CK-4.

Originally Posted By: SSerian
Did a quick search on rotella website for the new t6 cert in 5-30 flavor but didn't find anything. (Mobile device browser) anyone know?

I think that might be coming in December or beyond. I don't know if it'll be CK-4 or FA-4 oil. The only thing I've seen about it was in one of the media articles from Shell's announcement. It mentioned T6 5W30 was on the way and it would be dual rated for both diesel and gasoline, but that's all I read about it.

T6 5w30 will be widely used I bet. I have used T6 5w40 in my jeep since it came out and my oil consumption was cut about 75%. Have used the 15w40 conventional in my bikes since the late 80s early 90s and the T5 in my last oil change in my dirt bike. T3 30 wt in the lawnmowers. Good hearty oil at a reasonable price for a wide variety of applications is what makes rotella so good. I did run T5 10w30 in the silverado last summer but it used a little oil which was unusual.

I hate to admit it but I guess I'm a rotella fan boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back