Synthetic VS. Synthetic Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always done the oil changes on our family vehicles and equipment since age 12. Growing up we ran Mobil Delvac in a lot of vehicles, and then in my leaky ones like the 4-cylinder Pontiac I ran Castrol GTX to supposedly help prevent burning. Later on I used Quaker State conventional.

Over the years I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic on all our vehicles, with some testing of Penzoil Platinum on the newest one just to see how it upheld.

My question is for the older Dodge Grand Caravan we have, it seems to burn oil by at least upwards of a quart between oil changes, but does not leak or smoke. Odd. I do change the oil in all vehicles around 3,500 miles or once a year if they sit in the drive way a lot. I've used Engine Restore in the Dodge and even Lucas Oil additive, but nothing too amazing results. I am curious if going from Mobil 1 Full-Synthetic to something like Valvoline Synthetic-Blend for high mileage engines would hamper the vehicle's lifespan or performance versus just sticking to the full synthetic. Not too, that I run the FRAm Extra-Guard synthetic oils oil filter on the vehicles, too.

Originally Posted By: Defender51
I am curious if going from Mobil 1 Full-Synthetic to something like Valvoline Synthetic-Blend for high mileage engines would hamper the vehicle's lifespan or performance versus just sticking to the full synthetic. Not too, that I run the FRAm Extra-Guard synthetic oils oil filter on the vehicles, too.

I think Valvoline Maxlife is better suited for that vehicle. The van should see less consumption since it's not a full syn. Since oil changes are done every 3500 miles or once per year ML would be perfect.

Welcome to BITOG. Although you didn't state the year or current mileage of the Dodge, I would start using something like Maxlife or QS Defy in the vehicle recommended weight. You probably need the seal swellers. Too bad you missed a recent Walmart sale of their high mileage Supertech at about $10 per jug. Unless you prefer to spend more, I'd bail on the full synthetics.

Being from Nebraska, did you ever try the Clarcor brands of filters, Baldwin and Hastings? Good stuff.

Maxlife is a great choice. It actually has some patented additives that are supposed to help with consumption and in some vehicles they do. Pennzoil HM also has a very good reputation on here.

Originally Posted By: Defender51
I've always done the oil changes on our family vehicles and equipment since age 12. Growing up we ran Mobil Delvac in a lot of vehicles, and then in my leaky ones like the 4-cylinder Pontiac I ran Castrol GTX to supposedly help prevent burning. Later on I used Quaker State conventional.

Over the years I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic on all our vehicles, with some testing of Penzoil Platinum on the newest one just to see how it upheld.

My question is for the older Dodge Grand Caravan we have, it seems to burn oil by at least upwards of a quart between oil changes, but does not leak or smoke. Odd. I do change the oil in all vehicles around 3,500 miles or once a year if they sit in the drive way a lot. I've used Engine Restore in the Dodge and even Lucas Oil additive, but nothing too amazing results. I am curious if going from Mobil 1 Full-Synthetic to something like Valvoline Synthetic-Blend for high mileage engines would hamper the vehicle's lifespan or performance versus just sticking to the full synthetic. Not too, that I run the FRAm Extra-Guard synthetic oils oil filter on the vehicles, too.

Do you have the 3.8L or 3.3L or maybe the 3.0 (Mitusbishi)? Many reports of the 3.8L consuming oil (for certain years, which I don't recall off hand). I am a member of chryslerminivan.net. There are several posts on the topic of oil consumption. One fella swears by 0W40 (Mobil, I believe). I just sold our '06 Grand Caravan (3.3L) with 330 000km on it and it used about 1/2 quart for a 5 - 6K km OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I think Valvoline Maxlife is better suited for that vehicle. The van should see less consumption since it's not a full syn. Since oil changes are done every 3500 miles or once per year ML would be perfect.

+1 This is what I use on my older cars. Works well.

One problem is with the term Synthetic Blend. There are no guidelines to what constitutes a blend. 50%, 10%, 75%? Who knows.

Some blenders will actually state what they are using. Schaeffer has no problem letting me know that their blend I use for my commercial trucks is a 25% PAO and 75% Group II+. But your contention is right. Even the synthetics, they are real quiet on what they are mixing. Most of them are a blend also of Group IV and Group III. Schaeffer states it again. They say their full synthetic is a 25% PAO and 75% Group III.

For what it's worth, the MSDS for the 5W30 says it's 32.97% is heavy paraffinic distillate, CAS RN 64742-54-7.

What kind of OCI are guys doing with Maxlife "Synthetic Blend"?

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
One problem is with the term Synthetic Blend. There are no guidelines to what constitutes a blend. 50%, 10%, 75%? Who knows.

Pennzoil Gold SynBlend is at minimum 50% synthetic. It says so on the bottle. Valvoline representatives will tell you that DuraBlend & MaxLife SynBlend are 30%-40% synthetic. I have heard Motorcraft SynBlend, Kendall, etc are 60% although I can't find that in written proof anywhere.

Long story short, buying any major name brand synthetic blend means you're getting a nice amount of synthetic base oil.

Originally Posted By: NovaMan
For what it's worth, the MSDS for the 5W30 says it's 32.97% is heavy paraffinic distillate, CAS RN 64742-54-7.

What kind of OCI are guys doing with Maxlife "Synthetic Blend"?

I did 5K-7K mile OCIs on MaxLife Blend in my old '07 Ford Fusion with the 3.0L V6. Engine was "clean enough to eat off of" inside. Always did 5K OCIs on Pennzoil conventional or Valvoline conventional before that.

I'm running the last of my MaxLife stash in my new-to-me F-150 5.0L just to use it up. I plan to run this 5K-8K, maybe further depending on road trips. I have no fear of running the "high mileage" oil in a young engine. I'll be switching to Pennzoil Platinum in this vehicle at the next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back