Picked up a low mileage 4.8 for the Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
If your regal had a 200r4 I would just get that built. They hold up fine and if you are going to do highway cruising, the overdrive gear is better than on the 700R4. The 700R4 is however blessed with a lower first gear, but you may not need or want that depending what your differential gearing is.

The huge 1-2 RPM drop is an issue with the 700.

Nice project! I'll stick with the 3.8 SFI Turbo in my '87 Regal GN but if I had a base car I sure would do an LS swap.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Nice project! I'll stick with the 3.8 SFI Turbo in my '87 Regal GN but if I had a base car I sure would do an LS swap.

I wish I had your G body. I have an 86 Monte SS, and while I dig the looks, the SS stands for Super Slow with the 5.0 in it.

I do currently have a 2004R trans with the 307. Shifts good, but would definitely want it to be built prior to using it.

For now, and for a few seasons, I definitely want to play with the carb side of LS. The 700R4 is very healthy and should do decent with a shift kit.

I've got big plans for this car.

-full frame off "restoration", clean up the frame, strengthen it, re-weld some of the great 80's GM welds, paint it.
-fully forged 6.0 LQ4 with a twin turbo kit, fabbed up by yours truly using truck manifolds flipped forward
-thinking Precision 6266 or larger
-built 4L80 with a nice shifter on the floor
-9" ford rear end
-aesthetically want it to look like a GN, but with subtle differences, on the hood cowl I want it to say "6.0 SFI Turbo" instead of "3.8 SFI Turbo"
-way even toying with the idea of tweaking the Turbo 6 logo into an 8 and changing up the color palette, just thoughts
-black interior, want to adapt a 2014 Impala center console to the car, GTO seats, would love to wire up some of the buttons on that Impala center console to different things on the car like linelock, cutouts, etc.
-HIDs, something with a halo, not complete halo but cut the tops off with the square light, still haven't figured this out but will do a complete retrofit.
-BBK maybe Wilwood.
-275 or maybe larger out back.

Yeah... I've probably got 20k worth of ideas easily, but I love the looks of these cars and want this car forever. Love working on this stuff and building, so it should be fun. Could be a worse hobby. Luckily my GF loves grand nationals and wants to drive the car.

Now, your girlfriend is probably like mine: a KEEPER! Your plans sound like my brothers as he has probably 10 LS 6.0's in his garage ready to rebuild/build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back