What stores can I find motorcycle oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! I just got a new *to me* motorcycle a month ago. Very well kept 2002 Honda CBR 600 f4i and I just racked 19k miles on it.

Oil change is inevitable and I was wondering if any major brand stores sell motorcycle oil? I would like to stay with synthetic if I could but I don't know where I can find it.

I don't believe WM has any, I couldn't find any from AZ nor AAP. The only store I haven't considered yet is NAPA but that is about it for me for major stores that sell oil and I'm not too familiar yet where bike shops are at around here.

I believe the bike calls for 10w40 I believe. Is my only practical option Rotella T6 as it is widely available just about anywhere? It certainly is my biggest incentive as WM is only a mile down the road.

Do any of these other stores sell it and I just might've missed it on their website?

Thanks

The couple of Autozones I frequent have MC specific oils closer to the additives section, not in the automotive oil section.

If you have a CycleGear store in town they sell a good range of MC oils.

Walmart should have 10w40 valvoline bike oil. Mine has it on the isle behind the auto oil, where the accessories are.

I ran that, and rotella 15w40. Bought the bike with 24k sold with 34. Did 3500mi oci.

Edit; I had an 03 cbr600rr

Last edited:
With my 1998 Honda CBR900RR I tried going to Mobil 1 20w50 full synthetic, and naturally it had some minor shifting problems. I ended up settling on the same Chevron Delo 400 15W40 oil that I've always used in my diesel pickup. The Honda was much happier with that oil--when they recommend 10w40 weight, there's a reason! I had that bike for 13 years, finally selling it last year, and it didn't burn any measurable amount of oil and shifted wonderfully.

As far as "motorcycle oil", I wouldn't worry about that. The bike shops make a fortune off people who feel that they need "motorcycle oil" because the standard 10w40 stuff used in cars isn't special enough or something.

Just go with a good 10w40 weight oil and you'll be perfectly fine.

The last time I looked (about a year ago) PepBoys in Behel Park had a separate shelf for motorcycle oil. That shelf was not part of the regular oil display. They carried Mobil V twin 20W-50, Mobil XW-40 motorcycle oil, and some Castrol motorcycle oil.

For as far back as I can remember any oil that does NOT say "Energy Conserving" is OK for a wet clutch motorcycle. And i have never had any problems in my bikes. AZ does carry a few different cycle specific oils. I use M1 Cycle 10-40 in my H2 and M1 15-50 in my C14. Everyone Ive ever convinced to try M1 synth in their bike has gasped when shifting tranny smoothed out like butter.

Plain ol rotella works great in a bike and is available everywhere like truck stops, walmart, most grocery stores, continent stores, auto parts stores, co-op, tractor supply, and so on. I know the owners of two cycle shops in town and both use rotella for service on customers bikes unless they specify what they want exactly. I saw a show on tv a few years ago on KTM bikes and it showed a shot of the KTM garage and guess what oil jug was sitting on their work bench?

Nothing wrong with motorcycle oil but I had rather keep as much of my cash as possable. My cousin has been using 10w40 castrol since the early 80s and zero problems. Motorcycle oil is all smoke and mirrors. As long as it is the proper weight and isn't energy conserving your good.

I ran/am running Rotella in my Suzuki and Yamaha. Pennzoil 10W-40 PYB in my Honda. you can find motorcycle specific oils at any auto store or Walmart. My Buell did not like M1; it consumed it. when I switched it to VR1 it ran great.

Wal Mart has Valvoline, Mobil 1, and Castrol MC oils here.

As does O'Reillys and NAPA.

As mentioned you can just run Rotella T found everywhere. And of course Amazon often has various oils at quite a deal, especially for prime members who benefit from that free shipping.

Walmart should have Bike oil, around here they carry M1, Castrol and Valvoline for sure... Might be an aisle over from the regular stuff...

Whichever oil you buy, make sure it's rated JASO-MA, JASO-MA1 or JASO-MA2, should be on the back label, these oils will NOT have friction modifiers which raise hello with wet clutches.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbobtar
Whichever oil you buy, make sure it's rated JASO-MA, JASO-MA1 or JASO-MA2, should be on the back label, these oils will NOT have friction modifiers which raise hello with wet clutches.

Of course not even moto specific oil may have that. Mobil 1 V Twin oil for instance stopped labeling it JASO MA and just says it is wet clutch compatible now.

Hmmmm very interesting. Before I bought the bike I did some prior research and I knew about how you should not get the 'Energy Concerving'. I thought they also NEEDED JASO-MA certification. I was thinking M1 4T or whatever their motorcycle spec is, my buddy is running Castrol's motorcycle oil I believe in his F4i.

I will take a look next time at Wally world. Right now Im leaning towards T6 5w40 or Delo 15w40.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Hmmmm very interesting. Before I bought the bike I did some prior research and I knew about how you should not get the 'Energy Concerving'. I thought they also NEEDED JASO-MA certification. I was thinking M1 4T or whatever their motorcycle spec is, my buddy is running Castrol's motorcycle oil I believe in his F4i.

I will take a look next time at Wally world. Right now Im leaning towards T6 5w40 or Delo 15w40.

I would avoid the T6, the 5w40 oils tend to shear rather quickly down to a 30 weight. They just get torn up by the tranmission in shared sump systems. Stick with the 15w40.

Running Delvac 1300 15w40 here. I was just doing some heavy searching on oils over the last few weeks and from research here and with the help of BITOG members decided HDEO is the way to go. Delvac, Rotella,Delo, etc. cheap and quality stuff.

Notice a trend here... Folks have figured out the HDEO's usually work very well.

The other way to come at this is to pick something off the Allison transmission list. Because, they are often shared engine and transmission oils like in tractors and such. So they have to be very shear resistant and wet clutch capable.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/off-highway-fluids

I have long suspected that MC oil vendors are buying one of these blends in bulk and packaging it as a bike oil... There is not enough market to support the development of a specific oil for MC's from each refiner. Much bigger market for oil for machinery that has 20 gallon sumps
laugh.gif

Thanks all for the help. I figured there wasn't a big difference between an HDEO and a "Motorcycle" spec oil, am I safe to assume so?

I do not plan on riding it once temps get below 50*F so that will be from spring til fall and then stored for the winter.

Thus I think I will go with Rotella T 15w40.

As far as oil filters is there a recommendation? I looked at the bike and I see an orange can, from research I believe it is the ph6607. I've heard of people recommending the K&N filter but I myself have not been a fan of K&N products. Wally world and Napa are the two closest stores so I was thinking of using a FRAM TG6607 or a NAPA GOLD 1365? I think another filter option is the M1-108. I think mobil1 filters are sold at AZ? Is there any reason why I can't run a slightly longer filter if I wanted to? If so how can I quickly find a longer filter version?

Last question:

Since I will plan on using the 15w40 Rotella T and probably a FRAM TG6607 or Napa Gold 1365 is 4500OCI reasonable? I don't ride the bike hard. Right now I'm getting 160 miles right as the fuel light comes on and 3.38 gallons to fill up. So that is in the ballpark of 47 mpg which I think is pretty good for this 600 f4i and can't beat only having to pay for $9 worth of gas to fill up lol.

Thanks again all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back