Mobil 1 Or Quaker State Ultimate Durability ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like sopus oils also but their containers don't seal well at least with Mobil all the oil in all their containers are sealed with a double seal to prevent leaks and contaminants from entering the jug Mobil uses a sealed cap and an inner seal that sopus does not use.. Also all the Mobil containers have the exact same amount of oil inside the jugs sopus 5 quart containers seem to be at different levels you can see for yourself put 4 containers together on a shelf and you will see the Mobil is always on the money ..

You obsess a lot over this oil stuff eh? Just kidding
smile.gif

I have used both and from what little I know they both performed as they should . The QSUD was cheaper as there was no rebate being offered for the Mobil 1 when I bought it sometime back. I think I paid around $28 bucks for a 5 qt jug. The QSUD has been priced at $21 or $22 bucks each time I purchased it. The TBN are higher in Mobil 1 but I am not so sure that a brand new bottle of Mobil 1 cleans are protects any better than a brand new bottle of QSUD. If you do extended OCI and the QSUD is at 2.8 TBN and the Mobil 1 is at 3.8 TBN does that mean the Mobil 1 is cleaning and protecting better than the QSUD . I am not a Chemist or Scientist so I actually do not know and would be curious to that answer. Very few of us are ever going to let our vehicle go to the point where the TBN drops below 2.0. Each car is a little different and how each is driven will always be the key component for determining how well an oil performs. That is just my opinion.

I couldn't pick a preference between the two. Go with whichever bottle you think is prettiest. Hahaha

I like SOPUS products though, so I might lean toward QSUD. But I've used Mobil 1 a lot too. Touch choice. You couldn't go wrong with either.

I'd go with QS myself. Step it up to PP if you want even better! That GTL base oil they use is tough to beat, it's good stuff. Made my truck hum like a sewing machine over Mobil 1 which ran kinda loud and clattery in comparison, not to mention burned a quart every 3k miles.

QSUD is quieter in my cars compared to M1. I ran M1 in my Accord almost exclusively for 50,000 miles. When I got the valves adjusted a couple of years ago, the mechanic said the engine was spotless. I've used QSUD in different applications over the years and have never had an issue.

Originally Posted By: walterjay
I used Mobil 1 for a while and had a lot of engine noise, especially in cold weather. Switched to QSUD and it is amazingly quieter in my Asian engines. I guess it really depends on the engine. Still using Mobil 1-EP in my Ford Transit turbo.

I will 2nd the 'quieter' engine by changing over to QSUD 0w20 from M-1 0w20, especially in cold weather.....in my Ford Focus.

But.... I will be trying PP 5w20 next OC (great rebate)....and see if it makes any difference.

My unscientific observation is that the engine is always quieter with fresh oil than it was just before the change. How is everyone remembering the "new" sound of the previous oil as compared to the current sound with the new oil?

I find my acoustic memory to be way to unreliable to make that kind of comparison.

I agree Oregoonian with your assessment. My Altima ran very quiet on the Quaker State Ultimate Durability. As quiet as it ran on Castrol gold bottle, Pennzoil Ultra, and Havoline Pro DS. Quaker State Ultimate Durability is a fine oil. I have some in a 5 qt container on standby.

I think it's right that sounds are very dependent upon the car and motor.

I use both and can't tell much difference. I use QSUD 5W30 or 10W30 in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma and my 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. Both have up close to 200K miles. I started using QSUD a couple of OCIs ago because it was so much cheaper at Walmart. Now it isn't that much cheaper, but I'll probably continue to use it. I have a 2012 Toyota Highlander that calls for 0W20. I'd heard lots of good things about M1 AFE 0W20, so that's what I'm using on it now. It calls for 10K mile OCIs and I feel like either flavor of M1 will do that. I'm not sure if QSUD will or not. I only run my QSUD out to 7500 miles on my other 2 vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back