Ecotec filter cap needs replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the Ecotec's cartridge filter cap need to be replaced regularly/periodically? The one I'm dealing with is a Saturn L-series 2.2 Ecotec, and the cap nut is slightly rounded. Other than that, how do you know when it's time to replace the cap?

I ask because the PF457G doesn't come with an O-ring, but the PF458G is the same filter but with the O-ring and the cap. The 458 is only a few dollars more than the 457. It's a good filter, being made by Hengst, but shouldn't they always include the ring?

And how often should I use a 458G instead of the 457G? Right now, I'm thinking of using a PF458G now, and then a PF457G from next OCI on, with an occasional Mann HU 6007x in between (Mann includes the O-ring, and the 6007x is made in Spain).

I'm reusing my o-rings a few times as I got these cheezy filters from rockauto that lack them. The rings seal fine over several intervals.

The very first caps didn't have a "stop" and were getting overtorqued. Once replaced with current stock this is no longer a problem.

Other than that, it's not a wear item.

If the caps getting rounded out I would replace it. Also the OEM oring is not supposed to be replaced every time.

Last edited:
I'd say its time to replace the cap when it is so rounded that it is difficult to get on and off. The Pronto filters that I get for less then $2 from Rockauto come with an O-ring. I change it because it is there, but I have no reason to believe the O--ring couldn't last for many many filter changes.

I'd swing by the dealer for a new cap. Or do yall thing an aftermarket part would seal and flow just as good?

Id sure hate to have that cap stuck to the filter mount and a socket being unable to turn the cap nut. Not sure how it got rounded, but better be safe. Those caps can take on some torque, so Id imagine youd be cutting it off if the nut rounds and you keep it too tight.

I try not to get mine too tight, but as was said earlier- the earlier models didnt have a seat.m,so how are us mechanics supposed to know when to tighten something just so and when to tighten something until it seats?

Yes, that deformation could lead to a crack too. On my last change - took an old toothbrush and some Dawn to the threads - dried it - some fresh M1 on threads - felt smoother going back in.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I'd swing by the dealer for a new cap. Or do yall thing an aftermarket part would seal and flow just as good?
-snip-
how are us mechanics supposed to know when to tighten something just so and when to tighten something until it seats?

The torque you're supposed to use is written on the cap.

You don't have to go to the dealer to get the cap, as the OE PF458G filter and cap package is sold on eBay, Amazon, Rock Auto, and other parts stores.

Yes, AC Delco sells the cap with the filter so you can replace it every oil change if you really want to, but it's not necessary. I still use my original cap that came with the car. I use a 3/8 drive with the special ecotech oil filter socket and just run it down until it stops. I don't stress the ratchet or anything.

It looks like there's a 20% off coupon on Amazon right now too which would make the filter and cap be $6.85

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-PF458G-Professional-Engine-Filter/dp/B000IZ2CIK

I wouldn't replace the cap on a schedule, I would only replace it if the cap appeared damaged.

I replaced one once on my dad's 2007 Pontiac G6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back