I thought flat head mowers were outlawed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that why everything is OHV now? I thought it was due to emissions that they came out with ohv mowers? I went to Home Depot and there were just as many flat heads as OHV engines.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
I got a b and s ohv California emissions mower. That thing ran so lean right out of the box that it almost doesn't run.

Sometimes it can depend on where the mower was tuned as far as elevation is concerned.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
I got a b and s

Nice job at bypassing the censor.
grin2.gif

No, you will have to wrap them up and send them to me in Sweden to be compliant!
Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
I have 2 new Lawn boy 2 stroke push mowers,in the boxes here. Are they legal to sell/use?

Being mostly phased out, but I've never heard of them being outlawed. Briggs still shows one on their current engine lineup.

%7B2AD0C168-8538-47D4-9019-133D668D76BF%7D-Product%20Image.jpg

If by "outlawed", you mean illegal, then no, they're not directly illegal. It's just a very outdated means to convert fuel to rotational motion, so they're being phased out due to market pressure. It's hard to sell a flat head when the competition is selling OHV. OHV runs smoother, produces more power for the displacement, is easier to get into EPA compliance, etc.

It's similar to 2-stroke lawn mowers. To my knowledge, they're not directly illegal. It's just that it's not feasible to maintain the emission requirements of that engine type with 2-stroke combustion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back