Protectant face-off...let's get ready to rumble!

Status
Not open for further replies.
*I* happen to believe that THE product to beat when it comes to UV protectant is "303"...but I'm always looking for "the best".

I'm going to try and test my theory - I'm going to get some identical leather and vinyl samples from my local fabric store and treat them with some leading protectants like...303, ArmorAll, etc., etc., and let them sit in the hot Sacramento sun for the next couple of summer months and then compare what they look like, feel like, etc. I think it's the only way I'll truly know which ones work and which ones don't. When I'm done with my little "test", I'll share my results with y'all.

Besides 303 and ArmorAll, what other major competitors do you think I should "test" as well? I'm not interested in every brand out there, for now...just the main players.

Suggestions?

Ed

Never tried 303 but i hear good things about it.
I've been very impressed with...

$215%20spray-para-el-cuidado-de-tapizados-de-cuero-mothers-vlr-vinyl-leather-rubber-care.jpg

Are you talking about exterior plastics to use the protectant on or interior leather? I would never use a vinyl protectant on interior leather,ever. But for exterior use,303 was the worst I ever used. The original recipe Formula 2001 was always my favorite protectant but when they changed the formula it was no longer nearly as good. But I've come to find that "protectants" do more harm than good on exterior plastics. They always seem to dry them out.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Meguires

That covers about ... I don't even know how many products. 30? 3000? It actually does matter which product when it comes to leather in particular. Many vinyl protectorants will kill leather dead faster than a rabbit gets ...

Originally Posted By: buck91
Meguiars m40 please!

+1 I've used this stuff for years. However, it does leave a oily, greasy film that shines. I just wiped it down a day after. Not sure what that is in the ingredient list that causes that.

303 will only last if you keep it out of the rain as it never last on exterior surfaces exposed to the elements. For interior surfaces it is still my first choice.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Meguires

That covers about ... I don't even know how many products. 30? 3000? It actually does matter which product when it comes to leather in particular. Many vinyl protectorants will kill leather dead faster than a rabbit gets ...

Most vinyl protectants work better on modern coated lether than any leather conditioner could imagine.

I've never used Lexol, but I do like the 303 for interiors. For sidewalls it's a dust magnet...the best product I've used for sidewalls is Stoner's More Shine Less Time...and it's leaps and bounds better than anything else I've ever used...

Originally Posted By: grampi
the best product I've used for sidewalls is Stoner's More Shine Less Time...and it's leaps and bounds better than anything else I've ever used...

I'll vouch for that as well. I normally avoid any kind of tire dressing, but it seems like the tires I've bought over the last several years end up looking brown no matter how well I clean them.

Forever Black tire dye is a good product, too, but I don't think it's a protectant.

I assume that you are going to use the vinyl coated leather that is most common in automobiles? Testing on regular oil tanned leather wouldn't mean much, unless you are considering saddles.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
*I* happen to believe that THE product to beat when it comes to UV protectant is "303"...but I'm always looking for "the best".

I'm going to try and test my theory - I'm going to get some identical leather and vinyl samples from my local fabric store and treat them with some leading protectants like...303, ArmorAll, etc., etc., and let them sit in the hot Sacramento sun for the next couple of summer months and then compare what they look like, feel like, etc. I think it's the only way I'll truly know which ones work and which ones don't. When I'm done with my little "test", I'll share my results with y'all.

Besides 303 and ArmorAll, what other major competitors do you think I should "test" as well? I'm not interested in every brand out there, for now...just the main players.

Suggestions?

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back