Pickups Have Sure Come a Long Way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Super Duty:
440 horsepower @ 2,800 rpm
925 lb-ft of torque @ 1,800 rpm
32,500 Max Trailer Weight
41,800 Max GCWR

For a factory-stock pickup (warranty and all...), that's nuts!

And it's probably true today as it has been in the past. If you want to buy one vehicle and drive it until it falls apart the best choice is a pickup truck.

In the past years around here there have been several estate sales where a pickup was for sale that was a one owner from the 50's and 60's.

My nephew purchased a 55 Ford from an estate sale with unknown miles, no rust, completely faded paint and running well. He's had it for about 10 years and has no plans of ever selling it. He spent less than $1,000 on tires, tune up stuff, fluids and some elbow grease on the paint job. It's going to end up in his estate sale, ready to be passed on to the next owner.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
And it's probably true today as it has been in the past. If you want to buy one vehicle and drive it until it falls apart the best choice is a pickup truck.

I feel like this is true of vehicles that are made to handle more than they are put to work doing. Trucks, real SUVs, Sports cars, all are built to take some abuse. If the owner/user uses them like a regular car, they are never run at the point which they were designed to. If any of that makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
2017 Super Duty:

41,800 Max GCWR

Uhhh.. don't you need a CDL to drive something that heavy? Obviously unloaded you don't, but at capacity... them's big rig numbers, almost.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Tell me this is a joke, 925 lb-fl tq? What engine does it have?

No joke. 6.7L Power Stroke V8

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Standard 6.7l TD is 440 hp and 860 torque

New ratings (440/925) for 2017.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Uhhh.. don't you need a CDL to drive something that heavy?

Varies. Depends on where you're from (state licensing requirement), how you're operating (commercial/non-commercial), what you're pulling, and how your vehicle is tagged.

These torque wars are crazy. Wouldn't surprise me if that number increases depending on what the competition comes out with.

I'd rather be at 400 hp and 800 torque and a nice boost in mpg......
If not that, about $10K less in price
smile.gif

If only they could make them not rust to pieces in 6-8yrs, to the point owners stop maintaining them. I still can't imagine spending ~$50K on a pickup truck that rusts out as quickly as the manufacturer's least expensive (to buy new) vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
2017 Super Duty:
440 horsepower @ 2,800 rpm
925 lb-ft of torque @ 1,800 rpm
41,800 Max GCWR

For a factory-stock pickup (warranty and all...), that's nuts!
Yep, I have been waiting to see the new numbers. Ford did not change anything mechanically so it is simply a tuning change. I thought they were going to go for 1000 lb-ft. My 2015 is 440/860 and it pulls like a madman. Would be nice to have a Ford approved tune added to mine
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I think the aluminum is going to be good for the Ford trucks.

I hope so. Time will tell on that. I'm thinking in the rust belt, it's going to do the same thing as the aluminum hoods on the newer Dodge Grand Caravans do. The paint starts to bubble at the crimps because the aluminum starts to get white and crusty underneath.

Originally Posted By: meep
^^^ what's wrong with the boxed frames? I thought they were supposed to be the best?

They are stronger for the weight, but tend to trap junk and rust through. I'm happy to live outside the rust belt.

Can you even call them "pickup" trucks anymore? The truck bed is shrinking, and the cab is growing.

Can you even drive a ATV into a F150 and shut the tailgate? What about a full sized piece of plywood?

Not everyone tows a trailer.

Last edited:
With the Super Duty, the shortest bed you can get is 6.5'. Same for other 3/4 ton and larger pickups.

It's 1/2 ton and smaller trucks where you see the 5.5' beds, and even then, longer beds are available. When the F-150 Super Crew first came out in 2000, only the 5.5' bed was available. It wasn't until around 2006 or so when they added a regular length 6.5' bed option to the Super Crew.

I think it's very unlikely the 8' bed option will go away anytime soon on any 1/2 ton or larger truck...it's just not as common as it used to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back