Im Asked What New Vehicles Have The Best Engines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Very impressed with my 3.7L Ford. Specs similar to Pentastar ( but without a sexy trade name ) shaping up to be a very reliable performer. Too bad that Ford and Mazda have trouble finding a home for it so soon after launch.

The Ford 3.5/3.7 was known as the Cyclone. Cooler name than the vastly overrated Pentastar. It is a very reliable engine, been made since 06 and placed in some of Ford's volume models (Edge, F150, Fusion, Explorer). The only real differences between the 3.5 and 3.7 is the 3.7 has a slightly bigger piston. It's the basis for the Ecoboost 3.5 (at least the pre-2017 ones)

As far as best engines, most have already mentioned them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There are no more good engines for four reasons:

1. multiple cylinder deactivation
2. variable valve timing
3. direct fuel injection
4. electric throttle bodies

It's amazing how how much new technology phobia we have here on BITOG.

My guess is it's an age factor.

http://wardsauto.com/2015/2015-winner-vw-18l-turbocharged-dohc-4-cyl

web-10be-vw-golf.jpg

Highlights I see: 200 lb ft torque @ 1600 rpm, yet 37 mpg hwy

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog

2. variable valve timing
3. direct fuel injection

My guess is it's an age factor.

Well, I'm 59 and one of my cars has DI(M235i), three have variable valve timing and a drive-by-wire throttle plate- or none at all(M235i, 328i, X3). I've had no reliability issues with any of those technologies- either on these cars or on my 2007 MS3(which made it to 158k despite having DI, VVT, and a DBW throttle).

In the early '80s my dad and I would often eat breakfast at a diner in our small town. When the topic turned to automobiles you could always count on a few old coots to criticize fuel injection and electronic ignition- pining away for the good old days of carburetors, points, and dwell meters. Listening to those guys made me swear that I would never become a fogey.

One of my guiding philosophies has always been: "Growing old is inevitable, but growing up is optional." I still enjoy rebuilding Q-jets for my friends and I like wrebnching on most any interesting vehicle- old OR new. While I'm rarely an "early adopter," I certainly don't shift into geezer mode and reach for a box of Depends when faced with technology that is less than two decades old.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

2. variable valve timing
3. direct fuel injection

Phobia is an understatement.

Given how many people buy new cars and post about it, I suspect it's but a handful of posters who hate on new tech. A few more are wary and willing for others to be the early adopters.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: MCompact

2. variable valve timing
3. direct fuel injection

Phobia is an understatement.

Given how many people buy new cars and post about it, I suspect it's but a handful of posters who hate on new tech. A few more are wary and willing for others to be the early adopters.

True-and the age (skews to "very mature") of those who hate on new tech play a factor.

Ah, c'mon, I am 60 and the only tech mentioned that I don't have is DI. Admittedly I am wary of the newest thing from decades of car buying experience. It is only recently that quality has become good enough that I might consider a bleeding edge ride like a hot hybrid or such. I work hard for my money and want good value and that means entertainment and reliability...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Ah, c'mon, I am 60 and the only tech mentioned that I don't have is DI. Admittedly I am wary of the newest thing from decades of car buying experience. It is only recently that quality has become good enough that I might consider a bleeding edge ride like a hot hybrid or such. I work hard for my money and want good value and that means entertainment and reliability...

As an example there are mega miles on the Toyota Prius and Ford Escapes used in taxi fleets. Really proven technology at this point.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Chevy LS, Ford modular, Chrysler 3.5 and Hemi 5.7, GM Ecotec 4 cylinders, GM 3.6.

+1 for the ecotechs. Not refined but we still get 30-31MPG and the engine has been bulletproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back