Cars with the best starter noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I'm out shopping, I like listening to different starter noises in the parking lot
cool.gif
My favorites:

- Older Toyotas and Hondas with the Denso and Mitsuba starters, respectively.
- Motorcraft starters on 2000's Ford trucks & SUVs.

You fellas have any favorites?

Old Delco Remy direct drive starters in old GM vehicles. Especially when they are new or freshly rebuilt they have a nice clean zzzzzzing sound to them.

One of the best is a VW phaeton. I would assume the Audi A8 and Bentley powered W12 cars have the same starter sound. The thing sounds so unique

Originally Posted By: JTK
An old Dodge sland-six. Any older Chrysler for that matter.
^^^ this. I doubt there has ever been more distinctive sound than one of these engines cranking. Well...other than maybe the 1968-69 Pontiac 4.1L OHC straight sixes.

Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
Modular ford v8s. Love it!

I agree! I can always tell a Ford V8 starting up. whether its the best I don't know, but its distinct.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
Modular ford v8s. Love it!

I agree! I can always tell a Ford V8 starting up. whether its the best I don't know, but its distinct.

For sure not my favorite, but you can recognize these trucks starting a mile away. I always think it sounds like the starter is about to die.

Don't know about best, but the Ford Modular v8's are distinctive enough that it's always recognizable. Still getting used to the new truck not sounding that way...

Originally Posted By: Ironduke4
Old Delco Remy direct drive starters in old GM vehicles. Especially when they are new or freshly rebuilt they have a nice clean zzzzzzing sound to them.

+1 but I think its more of "zzzrinnning" sound.

Second place are old Mopar gear reduction starters, very distinctive sound. Sometimes if you notice on old TV reruns the scene will show a GM or Ford vehicle being fired up but with an obvious Mopar starter sound dubbed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back