New Toyota Tundra - TGMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
Bought a new truck last week. The natural question for this forum is: what oil?

I plan to run TGMO, at least while it's under warranty. I am open to suggestion on the choice of oil.

Last edited:
If you bought it new I would assume you have 2 years/25k of Toyota Care. If that's the case, you'll be using whatever the dealer uses.

As a follow-up to my previous post, here are some cell-phone pictures of the truck.

At the dealer delivery:

Outside in Colorado:

Interior shot:

I added the TRD rear swaybar, which made a noticeable difference:

Approaching the first fill-up. MPG isn't the best, but I didn't buy this truck for MPG...

Originally Posted By: glock19
If you bought it new I would assume you have 2 years/25k of Toyota Care. If that's the case, you'll be using whatever the dealer uses.

Exactly, I have Toyota care, and plan to use TGMO while under warranty.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
You haven't said how you plan on using the truck but in lieu of any other info I would stick with TGMO 0W-20 even after the warranty period.

Somehow, I KNEW you would be a fan of the TGMO!

The intended use is pretty mild - daily driver, road trips, trips to Lowe's and the local garden center. I bought this over a 4 Runner (or Tacoma) to enable me to tow the Packard (car + trailer is roughly 7,000 lbs). So, once in a while, it will tow. But principally, it's easy use.

TGMO is fine, no doubt. But it's made by Mobil and Mobil's website includes MSDS documents for it and Mobil-branded oil (hint: the MSDS search should be "0w-20"). Last I checked, TGMO was all Group III base stocks while Mobil 1 AFE was 30-40% PAO and Mobil1 0w-20 EP was 60-70% PAO (in the MSDS PAO is "1-decene homopolymer).

There's more to oil than base stocks of course, but given the PAO percentage, pricing and availability, either of the Mobil1 0w-20 choices seems a better choice to me.

Last edited:
Pretty!

I used to hang out on tundratalk.net; opinions vary, as you might well guess. From what I can tell... TGMO 0W20 does the job. But will so most anything else. Right now I have 10W30 Penzoil Platnium in my 4.6, and it might be just slightly more quiet, it might have lost a pinch of mpg, and I might be pulling at straws to detect the difference. Toyota tends not to make fussy motors (outside of a few sludgers) so I'm of the opinion that TGMO is good to use when it's not more expensive than the alternatives. When it's more expensive then the alternatives are good enough.

I presume you're getting 2 years free service and all; but if not: you do want to get an oil filter cap to remove the cartridge filter. Threads here someplace about that. I ordered a bunch of OEM filters off Ebay, I thought the pricing was competitive. And IMO the factor filter is good enough.

Interesting, thanks. I've always run oil on the heavier side with my turbo cars, because they recommend a heavier weight when used hard. But this will be used gently, for the most part, so I don't anticipate high oil temps (and it does have the tow package oil cooler) and so I was planning to stick with 0W20.

Here in Canada all Toyota/Lexus dealers are supplied TGMO 0W-20 in bulk.
I understand in the States Toyota dealers have the option to use another brand so it would be worthwhile inquiring what the dealer has on tap, as it were, and if it's not TGMO insist on their using bottled TGMO 0W-20 instead.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Exactly, I have Toyota care, and plan to use TGMO while under warranty.

Did you ask the dealer if they use TGMO? I thought they were not required to use TGMO.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Interesting, thanks. I've always run oil on the heavier side with my turbo cars, because they recommend a heavier weight when used hard. But this will be used gently, for the most part, so I don't anticipate high oil temps (and it does have the tow package oil cooler) and so I was planning to stick with 0W20.

So the tow package includes an engine oil cooler? That's cool!!
I agree fully with your thinking.

If you do have the Toyota Care plan you will be using whatever the dealer throws in it. After that Mobil 1 0w20 or PP 0w20 are great options. Nothing wrong with TGMO its a great oil, I just wouldn't go out of my way or spend extra money for it. Beautiful truck by the way, keep it washed and waxed (preferably sealed) to keep that red paint from fading!

The last Toyota TSB I read ( when ILSAC went from GF3 to GF4) TGMO = current ILSAC spec of ANY BRAND API certified oil. My dealer wouldn't go NEAR the XOM rebranded (single quart) stuff for your OCI. You get bulk out of the BBL. And there is NOTHING wrong with that unless you want to run a "proper" 30 grade instead
smile.gif

I think I still have it on file in my photobucket.

Would you believe that my Tacoma only gets about 2mpg better than your Tundra?

It's freaking ridiculous. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back