NJ drops emissions testing for Pre-OBDII cars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
I wish PA would adopt this. My accord hasn't been legal in quite some time. I forget what driving it in the day is like.

I wish Pa. would drop EVERYTHING about it's corrupt, bee ess privatized inspection system!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Probably costs them too much money to test the older cars, so it is not worth it to them.

It never was about the environment anyways, it was a money grab.

I always thought that the states lost (ALL or most of their) Federal Highway Funds IF they did not require at least an OBD 2 plug in test for 1996 and later cars??
21.gif

Nope, here in IL, some places require the test, others don't. Where I live now doesn't require the tests.

Regarding pre-odb2 cars, they probably don't want to maintain the dynamometers for a small percentage of the cars. If they were using the IM240 test, they had to run the car on the dyno as part of the test.

It's probably a matter of diminishing returns. How many cars 1996 and older are on the roads these days?

I wish PA would adopt this. My accord hasn't been legal in quite some time. I forget what driving it in the day is like.

I wish Pa. would drop EVERYTHING about it's corrupt, bee ess privatized inspection system!
mad.gif

I don't think most people are competent enough to keep their car safe so I don't mind the inspections, but they need to slap a 3 year sticker on new cars. I've had a couple things caught in inspection that I've missed.

My objection is and has always been the corruption. I was once told that inspecting my J-20 would be $100. He didn't need to see the truck...just the cash!

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Florida doesn't test OBD anything, and we've gotten plenty of Federal funding. Even some the governor didn't want.

You're not downwind of OH, PA, and their coal-burning.

mad.gif

I don't think most people are competent enough to keep their car safe so I don't mind the inspections, but they need to slap a 3 year sticker on new cars.

Yes, at one time Joyzee was issuing a 4 year sticker for new cars, correct?

We'll see what our state gives me when I pick up the '16 Fiesta ST I ordered two weeks ago, in October (hopefully, it won't take them longer than that to build and ship it here).

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Regarding pre-odb2 cars, they probably don't want to maintain the dynamometers for a small percentage of the cars.

They got rid of the dynamometers in MD and just do a tail pipe test on pre-OBDII cars.

MA got rid of emissions testings for cars older than 15 years so all 2001 and older cars just get a safety inspection, they don't care if you have a CEL on.

CT still does the dyno test for pre-OBD2 vehicles. But anything 25 years old or older is exempt from emissions testing, so in a few more years, the dyno test will be obsolete and they'll just have the OBD2 test. No safety inspections whatsoever here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back