how do you defend yourself when a bank messes up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
With mail being delivered to the wrong address / mail box... you don't want any financial paperwork mailed to you.

Paper is dead

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Another sleazy bank thing I hate is trying to charge you for mailed paper statements.

Yet another is charging a fee to cash "on them" checks.

I used to think a check was a contract or legal order to the bank whose name was on the check to provide the named bearer that amount of cash, not that amount minus $11.

Talking about you, Key Bank.
mad.gif

I could sorta maybe understand a fee for other banks for non-account holders, but, sheesh.

Originally Posted By: opus1
First off, I still write checks. If you want to electronically put money into my account, fine, but to get any out you need a piece of paper from me.
grin.gif

Offhand, I can think of 3 cases where the bank or CU made an error and all were resolved in my favor. One was a teller data-entry error that she caught right after she hit the enter-key, so that was fixed immediately. I still have a statement somewhere that shows a $1.5M deposit into my account, followed by a correction, though. One was a withdrawal from my credit union account that I know I didn't make/authorize and after a couple of days for them to "investigate" they found the error and fixed. The third was the teller mis-keying my account number on a deposit, which I'd have caught sooner if I requested a balance at the time since the PIN wouldn't have worked. Again, one phone call and they fixed that problem, and from that point on, I ask for the balance to make sure they have the number entered correctly.

Your account number and routing number are available for the world to see on a check. Its like handing over your card and PIN at once.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
DoubleWasp,

Are you a 'minority' ?

Maybe they reported it as a suspicious amount of cash and they unfortunately flagged your legitimate deposit...

I know a black guy who has a cash business and he's been reported a few times for legitimate cash deposits.

I thought I could get away from hearing about this on an oil forum, but I guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back