‘Killing The Colorado’ on Discovery Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's certainly "doable", and if the people want to live and farm in those areas, then they can be responsible for paying for the pipeline, the lift stations, and the power needed to run the system.

I think the population growth has certainly out grown the conservation measures.

today them, tomorrow us. we have to work together.

Last edited:
And therein is the rub. The users never pay the full freight on the costs. Particularly when the federal government is involved, Uncle Sam picks up a large portion of the tab, with project users supposedly paying their share. Unfortunately, even those shares are often very slow to play back as well, and the end result is that the users get a large subsidy to build their project.

Working together in this case may mean making hard choices about growth and where it should occur.

You talk straight, MNgopher, and I can understand that. Truth be told, i would prefer to help the people in that area. It isn't any different than what I do now, I pay taxes and the roads in my rural area don't get any better! It's kinda funny in a way. I go to the city and say now I know where all my tax dollars are going.

In my area, we are currently working towards a new fresh water lake that will be constructed from both increased taxes to our current water bill and federal grant money. The fresh water lake will be able to serve a surrounding 7 county wide area and should prepare us for the future drought years. The drought years in the past have taught us to get prepared.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
What does the LA River have to do with the Colorado River from a water system perspective?

UD

I just showed how dry we are. The LA river only have water running in it for few days a year.

Where are you in CA ? Did you have good rain last winter ? When was your last day of rain ? Mine was about 3 months ago and don't expect any until November.

Hello HTSS- I live in West LA and have lived in So cal since 87.
That river is always dry or a mere trickle in the summer. Full stop.
You do know its strictly a flood control system right ?
Even though its called the LA "River" its a glorified drainage ditch that funnels mountain water to the ocean because floods caused billions in damage before this was put in.

A better in visual indicator of So cals current water and drought is the Prado wetlands system in corona.

As far as diverting water wed be better off if we tapped the mouth of the columbia and and diverted down to the top of the colorado chain - this could keep almost the entire Colorado reservoir system filled to the brim.

The mouth is the best place to tap as the claims have all been fulfilled at that point and the remainder is simply dumping trillions of gallons of fresh water into the ocean uselessly.

Its a grand scope project but ultimately something will have to be done as the demands one the system with population growth and AG are too great for the existing demand.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back