Spare tire donut speed limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every spare tire donut I've seen (not full size) has in bold letters a warning not to exceed 50 or 55 mph on the sidewall. The other day while checking the pressure on the Fusion's spare, I noticed that the tire has an 'M' speed rating, which should be good up to 81 mph. What gives?! Maybe it's for the morons who drive on the donut for several months at a time.

Factor of safety. Figure a lot of these tires sit forever and can start to rot. Coupled with very few people checking the pressure on the tire its very possible to be driving around on an old under inflated tire.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Factor of safety. Figure a lot of these tires sit forever and can start to rot. Coupled with very few people checking the pressure on the tire its very possible to be driving around on an old under inflated tire.

+1 BITOG people are probably one of the very very few people who actually check their spare tire pressure. I wouldn't test going any faster than what the tire says. You should really be driving directly to a garage anyways.

My daughters Civic had one of those as does my new Avalon. While I am mindful of the mileage and speed limit on those...The very first thing I did was buy her a full size spare tire. Because I know she would drive 300 miles at 75 mph on the donut.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP

Yup.

The lower recommended max speed for the donut spare could be due to the difference in diameter of the spare compared to the "real" tires which could cause drivetrain issues if used on a driven wheel at high speed or for prolonged times.

HTH

This is fresh on my mind as I am about to take a road trip and pulled the spare to top it off. I check it about twice a year and it can drop from the recommended 60 psi to 45-50 in six months' time. I don't think you need to worry too much about speeds on good roads. You can travel at normal highway speeds, according to my reading and personal experience. I would be more cautious if the pressure is low due to heat buildup. One of my idiot neighbors drove on a compact spare for nearly six months before finally replacing the bad tire. Several times during that period I saw the spare looking noticeably low. You can't fix stupid.

My wife hit something and called AAA to put on the donut spare. The guy gave her the 55 mph maximum speech. Probably for liability purposes.

You also have to wonder what capabilities those tires have under extreme conditions such as rapid change of direction to avoid an obstacle. An old, somewhat rotted and not fully inflated donut spare that needs to change direction in a hurry?...yikes!

They are for temporary use, as the sidewall printing states. If you have a large truck, SUV, or off-road vehicle you probably already have a conventional spare, as you should. For most of us the temporary spares are just fine. I used the one in my 89 Accord a handful of times in the 23 years I owned the car and it worked just fine, even for a 100 mile trip home from Possum Kingdom Lake. You can definitely feel the difference if you have to use it on the front. Like anything else on your car, maintenance is key. Set some kind of reminder to check the air pressure at least twice a year and when you do visually examine the tire for signs of deterioration. I never noticed any on the Accord's spare. It's not exposed to UV or road conditions so it ought to last a very, very long time.

If you have to use it, use it with common sense. Don't drive 100 mph in the middle of the summer and don't flog it on dirt roads for very long. If you sleep better at night having a conventional spare then, by all means, get one.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
The lower recommended max speed for the donut spare could be due to the difference in diameter of the spare compared to the "real" tires which could cause drivetrain issues if used on a driven wheel at high speed or for prolonged times.

HTH
^This. I don't remember where I read it, but I remember reading that it's not a limitation of the tire itself, but the strain put on the drivetrain due to the size difference.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

HTH
^This. I don't remember where I read it, but I remember reading that it's not a limitation of the tire itself, but the strain put on the drivetrain due to the size difference.

FWIW, the inflatable spare in wife's Q5 has nearly the same overall diameter as the primary wheels, yet the owner's manual still makes a note not to drive faster than 50 mph on it.

I don't know if the load rating of the spare is different. In any case, it's probably for safety reasons as the vehicle's handling will be negatively affected. And the faster you go, the bigger the impact of it will be.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I don't know if the load rating of the spare is different.

Looks like the load rating is 106, so that's actually higher than OE tires (101). Still, it's not going to handle anywhere close to an OE tire.

I don't know if the load rating of the spare is different.

Looks like the load rating is 106, so that's actually higher than OE tires (101). Still, it's not going to handle anywhere close to an OE tire.

The load rating IIRC on the Fusion's donut is 100, while OEM tires were 93. Diameter is also quite similar to the full-size wheel assembly.

My wife's Scion has the 55 MPH/100 mile limit stamped on it.
I really want to buy a full size spare, maybe need to go to a junk yard and find one.

A while back I saw some small car with 2 temporary spares on it?

Last edited:
I remember the donut had rating of 55MPH, no more than 50 miles ?

It is the most dangerous to exceed on the highway. It is simply not as much tire as what is supposed to be there.

Inflate to 60PSi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back