2008 Accord Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll need a good hex key to take off the COP, then unclip the wire feed, pull out the boot. Spark plug socket with an extension. When putting in the new plugs, use your fingers to get it started, then tighten them down. No anti seize or anything like that. Mine was the V6 and it wasn't that hard to do at all, especially after what the dealer was quoting me.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
You'll need a good hex key to take off the COP, then unclip the wire feed, pull out the boot. Spark plug socket with an extension. When putting in the new plugs, use your fingers to get it started, then tighten them down. No anti seize or anything like that. Mine was the V6 and it wasn't that hard to do at all, especially after what the dealer was quoting me.

The 2008 Honda-V6 FSM says to use anti-seize on the plugs. The spark plug manufacturers say not to. Go figure...Something this simple should not be rocket science.

When I pulled mine out, they were dry and that was the first time they were changed since she was born.

To be on the safe side I pulled a plug to get the number. It was a NGK DILZKR7A11GS. I think the "7A" plug is different from the "7B" plug. I was able to pick up a set of 4 for just under $60 including shipping. I stayed with the "7A" even though some sites spec the "7B" plug. My car runs fine on the "7A" so I figured I wouldn't change it.

Originally Posted By: willbur

The 2008 Honda-V6 FSM says to use anti-seize on the plugs. The spark plug manufacturers say not to. Go figure...Something this simple should not be rocket science.

Yeah - to seize or not to anti seize. NGK says not to because it increases the likelihood of snapping the plug. Original came out easy. I'm leaning towards not using right now.

Originally Posted By: greasegunn
To be on the safe side I pulled a plug to get the number. It was a NGK DILZKR7A11GS. I think the "7A" plug is different from the "7B" plug. I was able to pick up a set of 4 for just under $60 including shipping. I stayed with the "7A" even though some sites spec the "7B" plug. My car runs fine on the "7A" so I figured I wouldn't change it.

I think the 7A was replaced by the 7B. Ether would have served you well, as would the cheaper Densos.

That's what the owners manual said when I looked it up online.

But as noted, the B is what showed at the NGK site making me think they had superseded the A, at least for NGK new production.

But have to agree those are some expensive plugs, guess because PZEV.

Checked my 3.0L V6, $10 spec NGK Irid plug, buy from AAP using code 30% off orders over $50, so knocks price down substantially.

Originally Posted By: willbur

Yeah - to seize or not to anti seize. NGK says not to because it increases the likelihood of snapping the plug. Original came out easy. I'm leaning towards not using right now.

So they are installed. Did not use anti seize. I tightened 1/2 turn after the seats bottomed as recommended by NGK. I set my torque wrench at 15 ft lbs and it clicked a bit before the 1/2 turn mark. Nudged it up to the 1/2 turn marked and called it a day.

I changed the factory NGK plugs in my Accord at 166K and they looked great. Didn't notice any change in performance/gas mileage either before the change or after. That's a pretty good testament to NGK quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back