Speed Enforced By Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohio and Pennsylvania uses them and I was followed for a couple minutes by one in the mountains of Pennsylvania during a medium rain. I kept hearing it overhead and identified it as such - later on my computer.

Never was ticketed by mail, but then I never exceeded 10MPH over the speed limit during that event.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: horse123
Yeah I don't know why you'd bother stopping if you were on a "superbike", especially if you knew you got caught at a high enough speed to carry jail time. Just go for it, the bike should be faster than the plane if the plane wanted to pursue you.

Lol! You're not gonna outrun a plane on a bike, I don't care how fast the bike is...I'm sure the plane will have a radio too...

I'm not advocating it, but I do know of a few instances of it being done. They were heavily modified bikes that were far faster than stock, and it's been 10+ years ago, so traffic wasn't what it is today.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Yeah I don't know why you'd bother stopping if you were on a "superbike", especially if you knew you got caught at a high enough speed to carry jail time. Just go for it, the bike should be faster than the plane if the plane wanted to pursue you.

Lol! You're not gonna outrun a plane on a bike, I don't care how fast the bike is...I'm sure the plane will have a radio too...

I'm not advocating it, but I do know of a few instances of it being done. They were heavily modified bikes that were far faster than stock, and it's been 10+ years ago, so traffic wasn't what it is today.

I'm sure it's been done, but I certainly wouldn't like my chances to try it today...

That's some grade A ignorance right there. You'd be lucky to hit 140mph in a cessna, and at that speed you're going to start damaging the engine if you do it for more than a few minutes, especially at altitude. Planes don't pursue suspects for one, and if a heli starts chasing you, all you have to do is go by an airport and they're stuck outside the control area for several minutes until they get clearance.

Grade A ignorance?
A C172 will certainly hit 140 mph, only anything built over the past forty years or so will have indications in knots. You can also leave the throttle in most NA piston aircraft shoved as far forward as you wish for as long as your tolerance for elevated fuel consumption allows. The engine won't be hurt. An NA engine is also actually better protected at altitude since maximum power output declines with altitude. This is not true for turbo engines, since they can make sea level power up to some much higher altitude, where the ambient air density might not provide for adequate cooling.
Airports?
There are airports everywhere and most are uncontrolled.
The fields that typically have a tower facility are the busy ones and ground traffic around them will take care of slowing or stopping an eluding motorist while the crew of the aircraft keeps them in sight and directs ground units.
Any aircraft would have to be tough to escape for any ground-bound machine.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Back when witches flew on their brooms.

I would probably stop speeding if I saw one of these.

130xwing42cm-2.jpg

The old Cleveland Police Helicopter hah some issues keeping up in high speed chases. It was a Schweizer 300CBI or maybe an older version of that model.

http://www.aircom.pl/index.php/en-aircom---schweizer-s-300cbi.html

They now have two black MD500 which can keep up just fine and are very nice. Shortly have they obtained them I saw them in the hangar and they were being mothballed because of budget cuts. I don't think they flied for a few years. One time the Schweizer had to make an emergency landing do to a mechanical problem. The officer on board became so scared that he bit his tongue and it turned purple and stayed that way. So he resembled a Chow dog.

MD500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back