Help! RFID Key failure (no start/shut off)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 4Runner Limited with just over 50k miles on it. Well maintained, much of it still looks like a new car. I've never had this problem before, but it's a head-scratcher. The vehicle has the RFID proximity key.

I pulled into the garage tonight after work & running errands, and hit the ignition button on the dash. It killed the engine like normal, but the radio stayed on and the light on the ignition button was yellow (or orange). The car will not start, nor will it completely turn off. If you leave the vehicle and close the door with the key, the car emits an obnoxious continuous tone (like when you get out with the key when it's running and try and lock it but continuous).

I've tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, and that did not change anything. I had the key fob battery replaced about a week ago. In the mornings the car was difficult to unlock; it wouldn't respond to the normal door handle, I had to click the button several times. Since the battery was replaced, the car has worked fine.

I've been trying to Google for something, but mostly I'm getting issues with traditional ignition keys. I really, really hope some of the field mice at work didn't get into my vehicle.
frown.gif

Any ideas?

No, my wife does, but we are working on relocating and she's 500 miles away.

The car acknowledges the FOB, as it stops complaining at you when you put it back in the car. That doesn't mean it's not a failed device. I will see if I can remove its battery and replace, see if that works.

Toyota's emergency start (holding the button for 15 seconds) did nothing.

On my Nissans, when the battery gets weak it does not work correctly. you can hold the key fob right next to the start button and then it will work

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Sounds like the BCM went bad.

Ouch... a possibility.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
On my Nissans, when the battery gets weak it does not work correctly. you can hold the key fob right next to the start button and then it will work

I sort of tried that, and it did not help... but maybe I will try it again. I don't think it is the battery.

MisterBen could it be possible your security system (rfid) was compromised ??
They steal those vehicles with laptops/vin #s
There are all kinds of settings that can be changed with a laptop and a black market program.

Well, everyone likes closure on a thread. I fixed it! Took it out for a drive to help reset the computer and restarted it a couple times, and all seems well.

I was digging through the manual reading about the key systems, emergency start procedures, etc. It started to sound like the neutral safety switch/gear position indicator was not indicating properly.

So, I headed back out the garage, reconnected the battery, and started troubleshooting the indicator. Figured it would be easy enough, as it indicates all the positions on the dash. Sure enough, it was not indicating properly... because I left the vehicle in gear when I shut it off.

In my defense, I am under a lot of stress due to the relocation. The internet is forever, so I can't take that one back.

On the plus side, my MPG average has been reset so we can see if any recent changes are afoot.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
MisterBen could it be possible your security system (rfid) was compromised ??
They steal those vehicles with laptops/vin #s
There are all kinds of settings that can be changed with a laptop and a black market program.

That is a scary thought. I have one custom setting in the vehicle that has to be done with a laptop by the dealer. They give you one free with the purchase, then it's $45 per set point. I hope that didn't change, but I don't think it did.

Last edited:
Did you have another smart key on your key chain, or near the vehicle?

Some of the 2011s had an issue with saying "key not detected" and acting strangely when another smart key is in proximity range. The fix is to R/R the door control receiver with an updated version and program 2 new keys to the vehicle (updated keys).

Originally Posted By: MisterBen
Well, everyone likes closure on a thread. I fixed it! Took it out for a drive to help reset the computer and restarted it a couple times, and all seems well.

I was digging through the manual reading about the key systems, emergency start procedures, etc. It started to sound like the neutral safety switch/gear position indicator was not indicating properly.

So, I headed back out the garage, reconnected the battery, and started troubleshooting the indicator. Figured it would be easy enough, as it indicates all the positions on the dash. Sure enough, it was not indicating properly... because I left the vehicle in gear when I shut it off.

In my defense, I am under a lot of stress due to the relocation. The internet is forever, so I can't take that one back.

On the plus side, my MPG average has been reset so we can see if any recent changes are afoot.

It happens.
smile.gif

On the bright side, it was an easy/inexpensive fix. Good luck with the move -- moving sucks.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Did you have another smart key on your key chain, or near the vehicle?

Some of the 2011s had an issue with saying "key not detected" and acting strangely when another smart key is in proximity range. The fix is to R/R the door control receiver with an updated version and program 2 new keys to the vehicle (updated keys).

I do have another smart key from my wife's new car, but it hasn't caused any issues so far... just operator failure.

Originally Posted By: opus1

It happens.
smile.gif

On the bright side, it was an easy/inexpensive fix. Good luck with the move -- moving sucks.

Thanks! Moving is no fun, and we've been living in two states for a few months now.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
That was going to be my guess....left it in gear. I do it from time to time but I can't pull the key out so I never have had that issue.

Yeah, and I've learned the beeps such as "you left and the car is still running" or "you can't lock the car when it is running", but this was new to me. Maybe I've learned my lesson!

Worst part is, I arranged for a ride from my boss, then had to tell her I didn't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back