Let's talk Irish whiskey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening BITOG. What do you folks like for Irish whiskey. I haven't delved into this much other than Redbreast and Jameson. Any advice or thoughts?

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Bushmills is mighty tasty

+1 Bushmills single malt is good, can be a bit pricy but it's worth it.

Originally Posted By: car51
I looked at Bushmills and Tullamoore Dew, didn't get either. Got Blue Coat gin

That's not to bad, a little to citrusy for me though.

Black Bush, aka Bushmill's Black Label was the first Irish whisky I ever had and it's still my
favorite (that's not astronomically priced). Jameson is a fine whisky as is Powers and Paddys.

I don't drink but if I did Tequila or Rum would be my poison. Whiskey is more of a mans drink than I can fess up to being.

I can't do whiskey, like at all. The oakiness just makes me choke. Anyone have a suggestion for a "light" whiskey?

Oddly enough I can drink tequilla all night long.

Last edited:
My big three are Jameson (smooth and vanilla), BushMills (hearty and warm) and Tullamore Dew (elegant and light).

I went to Ireland last year for a project and stopped at Teeling and Jameson in Dublin and took the tours, then I went to Midleton where most of the actual product for Jameson is made. I got to say, it was worth it. My only regret was driving past Tullamore and not stopping in.

Favorite of all time:
Midleton Very Rare 2005. Hit me with a BLAST of butterscotch on the first sip. The other years are "great" but 2005 was epic.

Go to: Standard Jameson. It's flexible enough to be served on it's own or mixed with something if someone doesn't like it straight. The 12 year old is very nice as well.

Favorite in the summertime: Green Spot. I think they age it in old sherry casks and it picks up a lot of fruit and citrus notes from that. A hot, humid day brings out those notes. Goes great with slow smoked ribs and/or brisket.

Favorite in the wintertime: Redbreast 12. Nothing is better than watching a blizzard through your window while sipping on the deep notes of Redbreast.

Recent find: Paddy. It's a blend (which some people look down on) that seems like a good all-rounder. Might be my go-to if I can find it around.

Surprise find: Teeling single grain. Made from corn if I remember right. Normally I get a hit of corn on the finish, which I don't like in a whiskey but not with this one. It's also a good summer choice.

Note: I REALLY like Irish Whiskey.

Never had a bad Irish and to me whiskey is to be sipped neat.
I think of Irish as I think of Merlot.
Merlot is the starter red wine and Irish is the starter good whiskey with a nice Scotch being the ultimate destination.
Not a fan of any Bourbon or that rough stuff from Tennessee.
Anyone wanting a very light whiskey should try Canadian.

The number one whiskey in Ireland is Powers Gold Label. I recommend you try it. It has the typical "pot still" character obtained from using both malted an unmalted barley. Quite good and reasonably priced. The latest version has been increased to 43% ABV, too.

DBMaster: I don't recall if I saw that at the state store Tuesday. I saw one Irish Whiskey that was in a box and like $64.99.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: RamFan
I can't do whiskey, like at all. The oakiness just makes me choke. Anyone have a suggestion for a "light" whiskey?

Oddly enough I can drink tequila all night long.

Try some Bourbon or some Stranahans Colorado Whiskey

Powers Gold Label will be around the same price as Jameson. It might even be a couple bucks cheaper.

Don't be snobby about Irish whiskey. Blended Irish whiskey isn't like Scotch blends. It has a much higher percentage of malt whiskey in the blend. Somehow, blended whiskies got a bad name. That was probably due to poorly formulated blends. Many blended whiskies are excellent and many single malts are not, and vice versa.

In other words, try to tune out advertising and the opinions of those who have not tried things themselves. You could miss out on your next favorite tipple by doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back