2017 Hyundai Elantra SE or 2016 Toyota Corolla LE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai's are not if you look at Consumers Reports reliability info. I'd test drive all three and get what YOU like driving the best.
The Corolla has been around a few years which means the bugs have been worked out.

See which one you like the best and which one is the best price..I know you usually get more for your money with Hyundai and i also think Hyundai are very good vehicles with the by far best warranty.
Corolla used to be one of the best but today its a hard call.

2016 impreza.

Since your in nc, youd be supporting my job. Do it
smile.gif

Tough call. Test-drive both and pick the one you like better. Also, consider dealer support. Our local Hyundai dealer is slimy, while our local Toyota dealer is fantastic both during and after the sale. All else being equal, we purchased from the dealer that we felt was better.

I plan to purchase a '17 Elantra this summer. I find the Corolla's CVT a big negative for me--plus don't know how much durability it will have. The Elantra has better features at a better price point. Hyundais quality and reliability are right up there in my mind--our '07 Santa Fe has over 130,000 trouble-free miles.

Both compact sedan class and midsize sedan class are very competitive. But as of now I think Mazda 3 and 6 seem to better than competitors in its lass.

I like the mature center stacks Hyundai has been doing the past few years.

I would test drive both. I looked into the Corolla before ultimately deciding to purchase my current Accord. The reliability ratings from consumers did not impress me. Also I think the Corolla is a bit aesthetically challenged.

I test drove a 2016 Corolla LE a few weeks ago and it was ok. Just didn't do a thing for me. Reliable basic transport. Maybe because they've been out a few years and so common place.

I sat in a 2017 Elantra and liked it. Didn't drive it since the dealer wasn't open on a Sunday morning. I like the looks of it and the interior seems more interesting. It does have the 10 yr powertrain warranty for peace of mind. Haven't heard of any issues with these or the previous gen.

Yeah, the interior layout of the new Elantra is very clean and functional. You can still get a 6-speed manual with the SE which would cinch it for me.

If you're biased toward comfort, I think either would be a good choice whereas a Mazda 3, although better than the first generation, still doesn't have the comfort level of either the Corolla or the Elantra. I owned a 2009 3 and have driven the Skyactiv versions...meh on that count or as an overall commuter module.

All these cars in fully loaded guise are now pushing 30K which is utterly ridiculous in my mind. The SE is Hyundai's entry level trim whereas the LE is a higher trim. If the Toyota's outgoing model year price break and content comparison vs. the Elantra is favorable, I might be swayed. I think there are two or three flavors of LE trim now on the Corolla (?).

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I think there are two or three flavors of LE trim now on the Corolla (?).

I think they may have recently added a few more. Since there are now six different variations of the LE. The base L can be had with a 4 speed auto.

LE models

Last edited:
Love our Elantra, it's a great car. (We have the Coupe version) We've had it almost a year now and have 20,000 miles on it. They've had a bit of exterior restyling and a new interior for 2017. With the 2.0 GDI, it's been averaging low 30s for MPG, and typically gets around 38 on the highway. Even saw 40 on the MPG meter for a good portion of the road trip we took a few weeks ago. (With 0W-40 in the sump) It's got plenty of zip for a little 4-banger, and is surprisingly comfortable and enjoyable to drive for a small car.

I have zero experience with the Corolla, but I'd definitely recommend the Elantra.

Here's the thread I made when we got it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3852162/1

(Unfortunately I don't think you'll find a deal on a new 2017 like we got on this one.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back