2016 Volkswagen Passat decision -- Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I did not like the interior of the Fusion and simply hated the capacitive buttons.

The 2017 model has physical buttons for all HVAC controls and volume. Not sure about previous model years. The Nav does use a touch screen. I think it can be voice controlled.

Quote:
I was also not too keen on their dual clutch tranny from reading about it on the net, although it drove very nicely during the test drive.

I thought Ford was using their traditional 6-speed auto trans in these, not dual clutch?
The hybrid models use CVT.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Doesn't the turbo version of the Fusion cost in the neighborhood of $30K? I think if given the choice between a loaded Passat currently selling for around $21-$22K and a 2.0T Fusion for around $28-$29K selling price, I'd have to go with the Passat.

I think MSRP on Fusion 2.0T is around $25K, but with the various incentives, the final price typically ends up being significantly lower than this. But yeah, a 1.8T Passat for $19K like the OP has found does sound like a nicer deal.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The 2017 model has physical buttons for all HVAC controls and volume. Not sure about previous model years. The Nav does use a touch screen. I think it can be voice controlled.

The model I test drove, which was 2014 or 2015 looked like this. Now I'm finding out that base models without the nav, have normal buttons. At the time I though all of them had the capacitive buttons.
2013_Ford_Fusion_Titanium_AWD_int_center_stack001-e1385744459862.jpg

I thought Ford was using their traditional 6-speed auto trans in these, not dual clutch?
The hybrid models use CVT.

That could be the case then, because the tranny felt like a traditional one.
In light of this new evidence, the Fusion is a very good contender then, provided one doesn't get the nav, or likes the capacitive buttons.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The model I test drove, which was 2014 or 2015 looked like this. Now I'm finding out that base models without the nav, have normal buttons. At the time I though all of them had the capacitive buttons.

This is what 2017 with NAV looks like. Click "view image" to zoom in. They look like traditional buttons to me, at least for HVAC controls.
2017-Ford-Fusion-Sport-front-interior.jpg

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
+1 I agree with both

Having had a VW, I can say it was the most frustrating experience with a car I've ever had, and it was meticulously maintained. My aunt's 2013 VW Beetle TDI has been nothing but trouble, waiting patiently for VW to buy it back.

Originally Posted By: SEBZX79
If you want a toaster buy a camry if you want something different buy the VW. The passat is made in a US and is different then European passat. I say go for it.

Is it possible that the Beetle was assembled in Mexico and used most parts made in Mexico therefore the reliability is lower ?
I don't think it has much to do with Mexico, and I'll have to look up the card that came with the card that says how many parts come from what country, I do remember it wasn't all that much made in Mexico parts.

Window regulators tightened, center console replaced, A/C compressor replaced, sway bar links replaced (subframe dropped for this), battery replaced after 18 months, alternator pulley replaced, one of the instrument clusters replaced, diagnosing the A/C issue meant the A/C head control was replaced and the ambient air temperature sensor, it needs a new compressor again because it is intermittently acting up once again. The steering column growls loudly but the dealer couldn't find it, but they're quite incompetent. Transmission is real goofy too (DSG).

She's waiting for VW to buy it back.

This is what 2017 with NAV looks like. Click "view image" to zoom in. They look like traditional buttons to me, at least for HVAC controls.

2017-Ford-Fusion-Sport-front-interior.jpg

There are so many knobs, buttons, switches ... How can a driver be able to use some, not all, functions of this car while driving ? This car interior is a good example of possible "driver distraction" when he/she try to use some of its features.

Just look at the steering wheel, there are more than 10 buttons on it.

I drove my daughter 2014 Accord LX few times, I couldn't use most of its features, the only thing I know how to use is controls of heating and A/C, cruise control, headlight and turn signal stalk. I didn't even know how to turn on/off radio.

Last edited:
There are so many knobs, buttons, switches ... How can a driver be able to use some, not all, functions of this car while driving ? This car interior is a good example of possible "driver distraction" when he/she try to use some of its features.

That's pretty much any modern car that is well optioned these days.

Still, I prefer physical buttons rather that capacitive buttons or touch screens that don't even show buttons until you bring your hand close to the screen. That's an even bigger distraction.

I just got back from my local VW dealer...they have a champagne-colored Passat S on the floor for $18995 with all weather mats and trunk mat. I wouldn't have even gone to the VW store in the first place, except my 97 Volvo was declared a total loss Friday and the car that I rented from Enterprise was a 2015 Jetta SE 1.8tsi with 45,000 miles on it. Drives great, not a squeak or rattle, very impressive...the Passat is a smidge bigger for not much more money...

I can't stand the "sitting on the floor" sensation in Honda sedans, and the VWs allow me to sit up and look around, AND my hips don't hurt like they do in the Hondas...

That's pretty much any modern car that is well optioned these days.

Still, I prefer physical buttons rather that capacitive buttons or touch screens that don't even show buttons until you bring your hand close to the screen. That's an even bigger distraction.

I afraid so. Most new cars have complicate infotainment system, this is one of the feature I will probably never touch while driving, if my next car has it.

I looked at the interior of 2016 base Civic, it has many buttons/knobs and 5-6" screen.

Why nobody make any simple interior without ton of complicate features ?

No one would buy it. I know I wouldn't.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

No one would buy it. I know I wouldn't.

I would. My next car will be used.

But I get your point--the average consumer likes bells and whistles; and to be fair, it's cheaper than ever to put in an LCD.

We've owned a couple VWs. We currently own one -a MKV Jetta- and previously owned a 2000 Beetle. I'm no VW fanboi, but I'm not a VW hater like those posting in this thread, either. I'm more pragmatic on VW. They offer good driving dynamics at the expense of some other quirks. They also offer good manual transmissions, which is a plus to some of us.

The Beetle was the type of vehicle that helped VW build its poor reputation. They have improved since then, but if reliability is your A-1 first priority, then VW probably isn't for you.

A few points to consider:
-The Passat is one of the dumbed-down models aimed at America. It's not nearly as cheapened as the Jetta, but it still won't be as upscale as the Passat they sell in Europe.
-Being a more simple model may have its advantages. It seems the Passat gets pretty good reliability scores.
-There are always comments in threads like this from VW defenders who say "maintain it and it will be fine." To a large degree, that's untrue. Sure, tranny flushes and oil changes can prevent engine and tranny problems, but those aren't always the problem areas in VWs. The frustrating thing about VWs are the electrical problems. No amount of of oil changes will keep your door latch mechanisms from failing or certain sensors from failing.

So, if you like the driving dynamics and huge back seat of the Passat, give it some serious consideration. If you want A to B transportation and reliability is a top concern, then the Passat may not be the best choice for you.

With the exception of the off topic Ford discussion, I appreciate and value all replies. Thats a great summation, Stephen9666. I too am pragmatic on brands, VW included. The cavernous interior and trunk for a mid sized sedan is attractive to us, and if I do buy, this Passat will be used primarily for travel, not daily running around, so wear on the electrical and other systems will be minimized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back