Honda will discontinue U.S. sales of CR-Z hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CRX wouldn't sell today as configured in the 80's. Cars and even trucks that only seat two people don't sell like that use to and coupes don't sell like they once did either.

Last edited:
I like the looks of it....don't think it's ugly in the slightest. I think Honda made a mistake by not making it's performance/handling better. Sometimes it perplexes me why Honda seems to always shy away from that (excluding a few models....like the S2000, which is still an icon).

A love hate type car.
Should have been a K20 powerplant.. I think they are awesome looking, but too slow and pointless.

Google the KR-Z, now that's how a CR-Z should be.

To be able to sell car in US it needs: good performance and handling or excellent fuel economy, but it also need reasonable good looking.

One example is the 2016 Prius liftback, it is so ugly such that its performance/handling and fuel economy are all better than last year but sale all lower at around 10%. Chevy Volt is a plug-in hybrid 2016 copy is better than 2015 in every way, with the same gas price the Volt is selling at up to 40-50% more than last year.

Yes, styling is importance.

Its a true love/hate for me. Never been in one nor know anyone with one. Just seen them around.

There is about 5 or so of these guys running around chicago with CR-Z lowered and modded out. They look pretty nice.

The main problem with this car is that, it gets horrible gas mileage for a hybrid. The only plus is that its a manual standard and the CVT is the option. For what its costing, i much rather get a honda fit for the cost, extra seats and better MPG.

if it had 195hp instead of 122hp the fuel economy would have been in line.

It seems kinda pointless to hybrid and get mid 30's mpg and 130hp.

IMO, it was doomed from the start - a 2 seat sporty hybrid with lackluster fuel economy.

For people interested in performance there are much better choices, and for people interested in fuel economy there are much better choices.

The CR-Z always struck me as an experiment...a platform, sales volume, and technology experiment that Honda never really embraced in a promotional sense. I'd agree that there are / were better choices in whatever way you looked at that vehicle. People aren't really looking for a middling version of a hybrid-sport or sport-hybrid vehicle without something that differentiates it.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I like the looks of it, but it is marketed to the gas mileage practicality segment, while have almost no other practicality

Quote:
the CR-Z was billed as a car geared for Millennials with a household income of $40,000 to $60,000, bearing a resemblance to the CR-X coupe of the 1980s. At an original price of $19,200

More sporty than a Prius (?), and cheaper, I guess. Back in 2010 I want to say Prii started at like 23k. Seems more like the car was aimed at DINK's still starting out.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
A love hate type car.
Should have been a K20 powerplant.. I think they are awesome looking, but too slow and pointless.

Google the KR-Z, now that's how a CR-Z should be.

Well what series of engine did it have?

And does this mean there will be big discounts on it in the future?

Dealer here has a 2014 or 2015 CR-Z in a color I do not like. If this is going to be diecontinued then the price should soon plummet..

I have seen only two out in the wild. One of those cars that is cool to see when someone else owns it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back